× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: First steps after buying used XR500

Gkontos10
Aspirant

First steps after buying used XR500

Good morning Guys

I just bought a USED NetGear XR500 (i used the Netduma R1 since launch)
so i have some questions that i have to share them with you

1. What is my firs steps to do after i receive the XR500 as its used ??
2. Do i need to update Netgear software and DumaOS ?? if yes how i can do this ??
3. how can i factory reset XR500 ??
4. Until now i had connected me R1 as bridge through my modem .. the XR500 will be just plug and play or i need to change something else ??
5. Do you beleive that i will see huge difference from R1 to XR500 (i mean on wifi range, speed and DumaOS) ??

what else i need to know ???
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi there, it looks like Alex responded to this post over on the Netduma forum. The only Netgear specific thing I would add would be to reregister the device @Christian_R can help you with this.
Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

@Gkontos10 wrote:
Good morning Guys

I just bought a USED NetGear XR500 (i used the Netduma R1 since launch)
so i have some questions that i have to share them with you

1. What is my firs steps to do after i receive the XR500 as its used ?? Factory reset the router to clear out any previously used configurations or PWs
2. Do i need to update Netgear software and DumaOS ?? if yes how i can do this ?? Try setting up the router as is with out updating FW first. 
3. how can i factory reset XR500 ?? Press the reset button in back for 15 seconds then let go. Use a wired PC connected to the router to set it up. 
4. Until now i had connected me R1 as bridge through my modem .. the XR500 will be just plug and play or i need to change something else ?? Power OFF the modem for 30 seconds along with the XR router. Power ON the modem first and let it sync. Then power ON the XR router. 
5. Do you beleive that i will see huge difference from R1 to XR500 (i mean on wifi range, speed and DumaOS) ??YES

what else i need to know ???

Message 3 of 6
Gkontos10
Aspirant

Ok thanks. How can I register the product?

Also it updates automatically?
Message 4 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I linked Christian and he'll let you know what details to PM him with. Yes by default auto update is enabled.
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You can disable auto updates as well. I would recommend doing this and manually updating FW if your comfortable with this. 

@Gkontos10 wrote:
Ok thanks. How can I register the product?

Also it updates automatically?

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7