× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Flashing R7800 firmware on XR500

pablofm9
Aspirant

Flashing R7800 firmware on XR500

Hello,

I have the XR500 router and have been experimenting with DumaOS.  While I can appreciate the OS, I actually prefer the regular Netgear Firmware that I have used in the past.  Is it possible to flash the R7800 router's firmware on the XR500, which is supposed to have identical hardware specs?

Thank you.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

There's no Netgear supported method for what you want to achieve. May I ask why you prefer that firmware compared to DumaOS?
Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Why not by a actual R7800 router then compare the two. 

NG doesn't support cross platform FW on these routers. Thre are differences in the FW and HW that would not work anyways. 

@pablofm9 wrote:

Hello,

I have the XR500 router and have been experimenting with DumaOS.  While I can appreciate the OS, I actually prefer the regular Netgear Firmware that I have used in the past.  Is it possible to flash the R7800 router's firmware on the XR500, which is supposed to have identical hardware specs?

Thank you.

Message 3 of 8
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

You know 95% of the NETGEAR standard firmware is in the settings section right?! The only things not there are settings that are superseded by DumaOS features e.g. QoS.

Message 4 of 8
pablofm9
Aspirant

> May I ask why you prefer that firmware compared to DumaOS?

I don't like the interface (too much candy and not practical).  Also it seems easier to manage devices and QoS settings for a non-gamer setup on the regular Netgear interface.  

Just a thought, but not everyone will use this router for gaming.  Some may simply want a better network for all users, including streaming... 

Thanks!

Message 5 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What's not practical about it? What does the regular interface have regarding managing devices that you find better than DumaOS.

You're right, it's not just for gamers and the QoS is world class and will prevent lag for all devices on your network, ensuring they can all stream/download etc without local congestion
Message 6 of 8
pablofm9
Aspirant

I don't find it practical.  It should be easier to use and I dislike the fact that I don't have the ability to edit devices when viewing the QoS screen and instead have to switch back and forth.    

Anyhow, it doesn't matter.  I guess the answer to my question is no.  I will check out DD-WRT which is supposed to have a working firmware.  

As to someone who said that all the regular functionality is in DumaOS, it's not.  I will give a simple example.  In DumaOS it's not possible to set the router into Bridge Mode.  

Thanks all.

Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What about it isn't easy to use? Most router interfaces are quite confusing, we tried to make the most user friendly interface possible and we've received praise on that from lots of users. We've included ? icons in each panel to help explain the feature and how to use it. Is there something specific you find hard to use?

As in just editing their names on QoS?

Setting it to bridge mode would eliminate all the features that you would have bought the router for and it would be an expensive router just to put into bridge mode
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7