× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Fluctuating NAT type on Xbox One X with XR1000 router

Fluctuating NAT type on Xbox One X with XR1000 router

Picked up the XR1000 (upgrade from XR500) and have multiple Xbox consoles (among other things) connecting to it one directly with ethernet and the others over wifi. Problem is that they all keep fluctuating NAT type from Open to Moderate and even a couple of times, Strict. When it mentions Strict settings the Xbox does reference problems with uPnP.

uPnP is enabled (tried disabling it and re-enabling it) and while running the test on NAT through the Xbox One X (ethernet cable connected) I see this in the router logs.

[UPnP set event: Public_UPNP_C3] from source 192.168.1.13, Monday, Nov 23,2020 12:00:07

[UPnP set event: Public_UPNP_C3] from source 192.168.1.13, Monday, Nov 23,2020 11:58:37

The bottom one returned Moderate while the top one was Open. Only thing that changed was running the test again.

I have latest firmware on the router - XR1000 1.0.0.50_1.0.36

When I first got my XR500 it had a similar issue which was resolved with a DumaOS update. Hope this is the case this time too, will go back to my XR500 for now though until more info/updates get released.

Message 1 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

In WAN Settings change NAT to Open and that should resolve it for you.
Message 2 of 18

Thanks, will give it a go and mark this as the solution once I have given the router a run.

Also, notice the XR1000 wasn't in the forums model options yet which is why I didn't tag it.

Message 3 of 18

Gave it a go and while the wired one seems to stay on OPEN NAT, the ones connecting by wifi seem to be on Moderate NAT type.

Message 4 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Shouldn't make a difference really. If you've got any port forwarding rules or a device in the DMZ take those out. Where are you reading the NAT status, in the console network settings or on a game?
Message 5 of 18

I have seen the setting in game but for the most part I'm using the Network settings on the Xbox dashboard.

Just turned on the wired console this morning and shows NAT type Moderate with the message UPnP not Successful.

I haven't set up any DMZ device or port forwarding rules.

Although now I need to do something else with the router as trying to go to the admin page is throwing the message

haserl CGI Error

Failed to readline from 'config get DumaOS_Theme_Version'
Message 6 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Clear the browser cache/cookies and see if that lets you access. What is the XR plugged into exactly - what is the model of the modem/router?
Message 7 of 18

I have the XR1000 connected to a Netgear CM1000 cable modem on Comcast. 

From the router I have an Xbox connected by ethernet, a network cable running to a Netgear Nighthawk Switch (GS810EMX) which has 2 PC's and a NAS (Synology) connected to it.

Then I have a NETGEAR Nighthawk WiFi 6 Mesh Range Extender EAX80 which I have tried connected and turned off just in case. From that I have an Xbox (tried ethernet connected to the extender and wifi from the console itself).

Then I have a bunch of things connected to the wifi.

Weirdly, I have smart bulbs connected to wifi too and Amazon Echo can't seem to connect to them properly (they are connected to the same wifi) like it did on the XR500. Not sure if that helps point to a setting that maybe I missed.

Message 8 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could be the switch as it is managed, anyway for you to disable any port settings on that?
Message 9 of 18

Can confirm no port forwarding on the switch, even did factory reset and updated firmware to latest again.

Only things I changed were the password and disabled Bonjour discoverability since I don't use Mac and gave it a static IP instead of getting one from the router, everything else is default.

Message 10 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you just put the Xbox in the DMZ does it appear open then at all?
Message 11 of 18
D-MEAD
Tutor

Did you ever get this fixed? I'm having the same problem with Playstations and 1 Xbox. Which ever one I turn on first will have open Nat. The other 2 is a crap shoot. Can't ever get all 3. I also have a Netgear Nighthawk 7000p that can get 3 playstations and a Xbox all with Nat type Open. About to take back this XR1000.
Message 12 of 18
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that!

Have you been through all the troubleshooting steps in this thread?

Do you have any port forwarding/DMZ enabled? If so could you please detail them.

Please let me know anything else you've tried as well!

Message 13 of 18
D-MEAD
Tutor

https://forum.netduma.com/topic/34310-xr1000-open-nat-type-on-multiple-consoles/
Done the same things this guy has. And same setup. Only difference is 2 PS4 pros and a Xbox one X. It's just not possible with the XR 1000 at this time. Got a Netgear Nighthawk 7000P now and it works. Was trying to future proof. The XR1000 just isn't ready for prime time. Thank you for the help.
Message 14 of 18
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

I've responded to you over email, but let's keep the discussion here so other members of the community can input if they like!

Are you getting an Open NAT on the Xbox, moderate on one Playstation and presumably strict on the other?

Message 15 of 18
D-MEAD
Tutor

Getting open Nat type on first console I turn on. Doesn't matter which one it is. Sometimes I can get open also on the Xbox one X. I always turn on Playstations first otherwise they both will be moderate. The second playstation that I turn on will be a crap shoot that it will even let me join game servers. Doesn't matter which one it is. First playstation will be open. Sometimes Xbox x open. Second playstation will be moderate if it lets me in. My internet speeds are 300mbps. Notice in the link I had in my last comment that guy even says you guys know this is a problem on your end. That link was from him saying this on Sunday.
Message 16 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks, I think Liam just wanted a bit more information on what you're seeing from your side. NG will take care of it, thank you for all the input.
Message 17 of 18
D-MEAD
Tutor

With the same internet as the XR1000 is on I can get my Netgear Nighthawk 7000P to get open Nat type on all three systems and even add a third playstation 4 making it 4 systems with open Nat type without any rules being put in. It plays and chat works great on the 7000p. The UPnP works on it.
Message 18 of 18
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7