× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Follow Up: How to use the XR500 as a second router? How do I avoid double NAT?

Follow Up: How to use the XR500 as a second router? How do I avoid double NAT?

Hi all,

I recently posted about a Double NAT issue I was facing with the Netgear Nighthawk XR500 and the Xbox One X here 👉 https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/How-to-use-the-XR500-as-a-second-route...

This is a follow up to that...

A little bit background:

My ISP has installed a modem/router (D-Link DIR-825) on the ground floor of my house where the internet is set up. I recently purchased a Netgear Nighthawk XR500 Pro Gaming Router and set it up upstairs and connected it via ethernet cable to the modem downstairs. Everything works fine, except I get Double NAT issues on Xbox and I'm sure this also effects the performance of other devices.

After doing some research, I was able to find out that I need to put my first modem/router into "Bridge Mode". However, the first modem/router does not support "Bridge Mode". I've heard of solutions related to DMZ, Port Forwarding, and disabling DHCP servers as well.

What I tried:

As suggested by @Netduma_Alex, I found out my XR500 router's WAN IP and placed the IP in the DMZ settings in the Modem/Router Upstream. This fixed the problem temporarily and my NAT status was OPEN. A few hours later, I checked the Network settings on Xbox and it was back to "Double NAT". I checked the DMZ settings again and everything was fine. I even ensured that the router has a fixed/reserved IP which it does.

What can I do?

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to disable DHCP for the first modem/router even though my DMZ settings are correct? I'm really running out of options here and I'm willing to buy a new modem/router as the first modem/router.

Next Steps:

If there is nothing else I can do, I do not mind purchasing another modem/router to function simply as a bridge. If I am purchasing a new modem/router to function as a bridge, which Netgear model do you suggest will work best with the XR500? Also which Netgear Modem/Routers support Bridge mode?

In India, these are some of the models available:

1. Netgear R6400-100INS AC1750 Dual Band Smart Wi-Fi Router
  2. Netgear R6260 AC1600 Smart WiFi Router (Black)
  3. Netgear R6120-100INS AC1200 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Router

There are more models available but these are what I found first on amazon. Which do you suggest I purchase? And do all of these support Bridge Mode?

Please help

@Netduma_Alex @bacevedo 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Follow Up: How to use the XR500 as a second router? How do I avoid double NAT?

The next step I would probably suggest is putting the console in the XR500 DMZ and see if that resolves it.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The next step I would probably suggest is putting the console in the XR500 DMZ and see if that resolves it.
Message 2 of 6

Hi Fraser,

Thank you so much for all the help! There was a confusion on my end which has been resolved by simply disabling "Instant On" on the Xbox One 🙂

Have a wonderful day!

Thanks!

Message 3 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great to hear that, thanks for the update! Don't hesitate to come back with any questions you may have.
Message 4 of 6

Hey @Netduma-Fraser

Thank you again for the tremendous support I've received from this community. You guys are amazing and super patient. I think this community needs more visibility.

I purchased a Netgear product because I know Netgear makes the highest-quality networking products but if I had known about the amazing community built here, I would've been a die-hard Netgear fan ages ago. I have learned so much in the little time I've been active in this community and I really think that this community should be one of the reasons to pick up a Netgear product.

Look forward to being an active member of this community 👍

Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks a lot for the kind words, we're glad to have you in the community!
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7