× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Forgot Recovery Password

ChaiYang
Follower

Forgot Recovery Password

I forgot my recovery password to login into my Nighthawk RX500 router? 

What should I do to get into it? 

Message 1 of 5
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

If you enter your password incorrectly 3 times, the router will enter the recovery process. You need to enter the router's serial and then answer the security questions you set.

If you can't remember the answer to the security questions, then you'll need to perform a factory reset using the button on the back. It's a small hole that you'll need a pen or a pin or something to press. Hold it for "up to thirty seconds"...

There's a guide here: https://kb.netgear.com/000053098/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-router

Message 2 of 5
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

By the way, the serial is on the sticker on the bottom. Maybe take a picture of it.

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@Netduma_Alex wrote:

If you enter your password incorrectly 3 times, the router will enter the recovery process. You need to enter the router's serial and then answer the security questions you set.

If you can't remember the answer to the security questions, then you'll need to perform a factory reset using the button on the back.

Does the router continue to allow using the correct admin password, or can this be abused for some "fun" DoS?

Message 4 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What are you referring to @schumaku?
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7