× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GEO-FILTER FILTERING NOT WORKING

jesusm07
Guide

GEO-FILTER FILTERING NOT WORKING

When I am playing Call of Duty and I set the Geo-Filter to Strict Mode and Filtering Mode it doesn't always block players or servers outside of my set filter range. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. It used to work just fine before and I am not sure why now filtering mode does not always work. Looking for help on how to fix this.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 64
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Can you include a screenshot of the entire Geo-filter page please when it doesn’t block outside your radius.
Message 2 of 64
jesusm07
Guide

Sure. Included is a screenshot of a middle of a game I played where I had my options on "strict mode". In this particular game the server was within my radius but as you can see players outside of my radius were able to join. I've also had problems where I am connected to servers outside of my radius just as this players are in my game lobby when they should not have been able to.

Message 3 of 64
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

The Geo-Filter can't block other players from connecting to a host or server - that would be really unfair for anyone trying to join games, and isn't actually possible either.

The aim of the Geo-Filter is to get you the best host / server possible. This will dramatically improve your ping and gameplay despite the connection quality of other players who join.

I hope this helps!

Message 4 of 64
XRaptor29
Luminary

Halo Master Chief Collection also does this. After a few games I realized I was being connected to th closest dedicated server and all the peer to peer connections I was seeing were players connected to the same server playing the game I was in.
Message 5 of 64
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Exactly yeh - the peer 'person' icons you see on the map are other players when you're already connected to a lobby.

If you're playing a matchmaking game like Call of Duty, and you search for a game, there might be multiple peer icons that appear. That's because it's a peer-to-peer matchmaking game, and the peers themselves can be the host.

Your Geo-Filter will block any hosts outside the radius if you have strict mode enabled. Once you're then connected to that high quality host, other players will join as well from anywhere - you'll see players outside the radius as well as inside.

I hope this helps!

Message 6 of 64
jesusm07
Guide

Ok I understand now what you mean why players outside if my radius are able to join while I have it set to "Filtering & Strict Mode". It makes sense. My main concern is why am I on several occasions thrown into games with the server outside of my radius when I am on Strict & Filtering Mode. Those modes when enabled are supposed block any server/host outside of my geo filter circle. I am supposed to be guaranteed to be in a game with the host/server inside my radius not outside.

I live in California and on several occasions have enabled those modes yet I get in games where the server/host is in the East Coast or outside of the country.

Message 7 of 64
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The server in the UK is whitelisted - it has a circle around it and are required to connect to the online service. Did you enable the Geo-Filter after you were already on the game as that would explain the icons outside your radius.
Message 8 of 64
jesusm07
Guide

I'm familiar with the UK server required. No, not that one. None of the servers had a circle around them. I enabled the geo filter well before I began to search for a match. When I do enable the geo filter I always go to the main menu of the game, change the settings to , then I search for the game a minute or two later.

Message 9 of 64
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Set the Geo-Filter before you boot up the game, does that resolve the issue?
Message 10 of 64
jesusm07
Guide

I'll try that next time it happens. As I mentioned it does not do it all the time but it does do it frequently. Next time it gives me that problem I will close the game down completly, then set the geo filter and see if that works. It shouldn't have to be that way in order for it to work I don't believe. It never used to do that before when I first got it which was back in May. This problem started about a month or two ago.

Message 11 of 64
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Let us know how it goes! We'll advise you further once you're able to try it. Feel free to ask any questions or if anything else happens 🙂

Message 12 of 64

I think I know what the problem is, I just bought an xr500 (a buddy of mine had one and it worked fine for the last week or so since he got it).  During the initial setup it upgraded the firmware to 2.3.2.32 and speeds were terrible, enabling geo filtering would knock my xbox offline, clicking on players/servers would not show ping etc.  Found out his router was on 2.3.2.22, I downgraded mine to that and did a factory reset to clear out any settings and its been working fine for the last 2 days.

2.3.2.32 appears to be a buggy firmware, I would check and see if you have it and go back to 2.3.2.22 if you do, it fixed all my problems.

Message 13 of 64
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Thank you for letting us know your solution - we have confirmed that a bug exists within the new firmware that is causing slow speeds after upgrading. We're working with Netgear on a solution to this issue, and we hope to have it resolved so you can enjoy the new firmware soon 🙂

Message 14 of 64
jesusm07
Guide

thank you for that information. Will check to see what firmware I am running.

Message 15 of 64
jesusm07
Guide

I played Call of Duty for the first time in several days and I had my Geo-Filter on strict & Filtering mode before searching for game. I got thrown into a match with the server way outside of my radius circle. I live in California with a 691 radius set. I got thrown in a match with the server in Florida. See picture attached. That picture was taken in the middle of a match.

Message 16 of 64
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hmm, it's possible that server is mis-located. Technically it's within your Geo-Filter radius (since that is its true location) but it's appearing in Florida on the map. This seems like the most likely cause of this issue.

Please post the ID of this server, as well as the distance and ping shown by the ping graph. We'll check whether this server needs to be moved!

Another cause of course could be that you're accidentally using Spectating Mode instead of Filtering Mode, meaning that your settings won't block any servers.

Message 17 of 64
jesusm07
Guide

How is it technically within my geo-filter radius when you can see in the picture I'm set in California and the server is in Florida. The radius I have it set at 691 miles. Florida is over 2500 miles away from California.

Also how can I accidently be using "Spectating Mode" when you can see in the picture it's clearly in "Filtering Mode".
I don't change the settings in the middle of the game. I set it before searching for a game. I've also at times set it even before opening the game application and it's given me the same problem.

I don't have a screenshot saved showing the serve ID as well as the ping but next time it happens I will take a picture of it. Again though you can see my location in the picture, the server being in a state (FL) over 2500 miles away from me & that I have it in "Filtering Mode".

Message 18 of 64
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

By " I had my Geo-Filter on strict & Filtering mode before searching for game" do you mean that once you got onto the game you enabled it or do you mean before you booted up the game from the console dashboard? If you mean the former then thats likely the cause as the game pings all available servers at the beginning so if it pinged and got a response that connection would be alive and allow you to join it if you searched quickly.
Message 19 of 64
jesusm07
Guide

Both. It's happened while I am only in the main menu of the game, I set my settings to change the mode to "strict & filtering" before searching for any game matches. ALSO when I've had the modes ALREADY in strict & Filtering BEFORE launching and booting up the game it's given me that problem.

It does not happen every single time. There are several times where it does block servers outside my radius when I have it set on those 2 modes regardless if I set it while just at the main menu before searching for a match or before even booting up the game.

What it does for example I can be playing say for example 4 game matches in a row & have all the servers outside of my radius blocked & it shows that it blocks them and all  of a sudden on the 5th game it doesn't block a server outside my radius. It does it at random times.

The problem has not been of when I set my modes to block the servers outside my radius. The problem has been that it doesn't block them during random games. Again I can be playing 1, 2, 3, 4, etc game matches in a row then all of a sudden I get thrown into the next game and the geo-filer didn't work and I get a server outside my radius.

Message 20 of 64
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you got any servers allowed in the Deny & Allow section on the Geo-Filter? When the server appears outside the radius that you play on does the server icon have a circle around it?
Message 21 of 64
jesusm07
Guide

No. I don't have any servers in the Deny & Allow section. There is also no circle around it. Also in the picture I included you can see there is no circle around the server icon.

Message 22 of 64
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay interesting, can you flush the cloud in the Geo-Filter Map options to update the cloud database and see if that resolves the issue please.
Message 23 of 64
jesusm07
Guide

Ok I did what asked which was "flush the cloud" on the Geo-Filter. I had the modes both on "Strict & Filtering Mode" before loading up the game. It was blocking servers outside of my radius when searching for a game match and next thing I know I got thrown into a match once again with the server over 2500 miles away from where I live.

I took a screenshot during the middle of the match that shows the server info. You can also see I have my radius set at 691 miles and the server was no where near my circle. See attached picture.

Message 24 of 64
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Could you take some more screenshots when this happens please:

1. The top of your Geo-Filter page (the Device panel) 
  2. Your Geo-Filter Map Options
  3. Your Allow & Deny Panel at the bottom

It's pretty much impossible for this to happen unless there is a setting allowing it, so this should hopefully be straightforward to fix.

Message 25 of 64
Discussion stats
  • 63 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7