× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GEO-FILTER FILTERING NOT WORKING

jesusm07
Guide

Re: GEO-FILTER FILTERING NOT WORKING

I've alredy mentioned what options I have set but here you go a screenshot of what I have selected. As well as my friends allowed list. I dont have anybody on "deny" list.

When I have it on "filtering" mode some of my friends were not able to connect to me either throuigh the playstation chat and the game unless I put them on my "allowed" list first and open it to "spectating mode" first. Once they join me then I can set it back to filtering mode.

However the problem that I'm having has been having happens wether I play solo or with them. The screenshot I showed where the server was outside of my radius I was playing by myself.

One last thing in my allowed list if you look at my friend named "Haste" he lives in California about 150-200 miles north of me but the Geo-Filter map always shows him in somewhere by Oklahoma or maybe Kansas can't remember which state but one of those 2. Again he lives in Northern California.

Message 26 of 64
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Everything looks good with your setup. How often are you seeing a server allowed through from outside your radius? I’m wondering if when you booted the game up with spectating mode (to allow your friends in), you enabled a connection with that server. Even if you then switch to filtering mode it will maintain that connection until it’s dropped. This would be a very rare event, so unlikely to happen often.

As for allow & deny - you’re doing it perfectly. That’s exactly what it’s for, to whitelist friends outside your radius.

As for your friend in the wrong place, this can sometimes happen if we have the IP address in the wrong place in our IP database (mislocated). We can fix this is if you can post it here: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/25406-cloud-incorrect-server-locations/

Thanks.
Message 27 of 64
jesusm07
Guide

This happens I would say on average 2-3 times each time I play. It does block the servers most of the time when I have it on filtering mode regardless if I set it before booting up the game or while it's already booted but set it before searching for a match. Most of the time I play alone and it's done it even when I have it set on filtering mode prior to booting up the game.

I notice it mostly does it when it's taking a while to find a game it eventually throwns me into a match with a server outside of my radius. By a while I mean 3-5 minutes. There are times that I keep getting servers in the UK or East coast every single time and have terrible hit detections. When situations like that happen I stop playing, close the game application, change the mode to "filtering". What I notice it then does is block all servers outside my radius for a few minutes then if a match is not found withing a few minutes it throws me into the same servers I was playing on that I am trying to avoid.

There are times that it works perfectly and blocks the servers outside of my radius every single time. It's just not as consistent in blocking them as it was in the first few months that I got the router which was back in May.

Message 28 of 64
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

From our point of view there should be no possible way this should be happening so do you have the ability to record the interface and if possible the console at the same time so we can see it working and then not working?
Message 29 of 64
jesusm07
Guide

I have a screen capture software that will allow me to record the interface but not a way to record both at the same time. Even recording it, which I have no problem diong so, it doesn't seem to be a solution that will stop the problem. I've shown the screenshots if the problem. All me recording it will show is what the screenshots I've attached in previous messages show. The screenshots have shown me having it on strict and filtering mode and the server showing outside of my radius.

If I provide a recording of it happening will that provide something different that will enable a solution to be found? Again I have no problem recording it and be happy to provide the recording. I just don't understand how that will help.

Message 30 of 64
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you record it, showing that the settings are all correct and that at first it works and then it doesn't without changing anything then that will allow us to confirm its a potential bug and then we can try to see why this is happening
Message 31 of 64
Impulse
Aspirant

I have the same issue, on top of it, there aren't any servers or peers on the map when searching for a game.
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 32 of 64
Impulse
Aspirant

I'm facing the same issue of being put into lobbies outside of my radius, on top of it, no servers or peers show up on my map and if they do, they disappear withing a second.
Message 33 of 64
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hard turn off the console, delete the device from the Geo-Filter. Flush the cloud, wait 1 minute then refresh the page. Set up the Geo-Filter how you want then add the device to the Geo-Filter. Zoom out of the map fully. Boot up the console and game, then see if that resolves it.
Message 34 of 64
Impulse
Aspirant

So when starting up the game, all the servers and peers seem to show up, but once the game actually loads to the menu, they all start disappearing. I've tried restarting the game and rebooting the router, I get the same results. Another issue I have is with Qos enabled at 70% for both upload and download, I only get around 10mbps upload on the PS4 pro speed test although my internet speed is 250down, 50up.
Message 35 of 64
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's expected behaviour. You will only see further icons on the map when you search for a game/when in one. Console speed tests can be inaccurate, do you get the expected amount on a wired PC? Also got plenty for gaming regardless
Message 36 of 64
Impulse
Aspirant

When searching for a game, no icons show up and if at all they do, it's usually like 1 but thousands of kilometres away from me. And since I switched from my Asus RT-AC5300 to the xr500, I noticed my bullet registration/hit detection is more delayed. Should I keep upnp on if I turn off Nat Filtering?
Message 37 of 64
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you completely zoomed out of the map? Please provide a screenshot of your entire Geo-Filter page with the options menu open. Yes I'd keep UPnP on
Message 38 of 64
Impulse
Aspirant

Yes I do have it zoomed out. Anyway apart from the Geofilter, my main concern is the delay in bullet registration in custom games that occurred after I switched to the xr500. Are there settings Im missing out on that I should enable/disable ? I have turned off Nat Filtering to ensure open Nat type on all my consoles and still have UPNP enabled. On the upnp list, none of my devices show up though. BTW, thanks for your timely response, I hope to get this issue resolved asap. If there's a more interactive way to contact u, pls let me know.
Message 39 of 64
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Delayed hit registration tends to be an issue with the game net-code rather than an issue on your end. If you're getting a low ping to the server, you're mitigating any lag on your end. If there's a high-ping player and you're shooting him, it's really up to the game to decide how to treat the hit registration. What's your ping to the server?

As for servers disappearing / not showing up, you're playing on PS4. On that console (only in Black Ops 4), players IP's are encrypted, so you'll only see the host of the game, not other players. The Geo-Filter will look sparse but it'll still do its job perfectly. This isn't the case on Xbox; we're unsure why they made that decision for PS4 alone, but it is what it is 🙂

Message 40 of 64
Impulse
Aspirant

Interesting, just to ensure I have the best settings for BO4, can u point out any flaws in my setup ? I've got the anti buffebloat sliders at 69 and 57 for down/up. I get A+ even if it's a bit higher, but the excess ping over idle goes to around +20ms. What's the recommended ping over idle ideally ? Another thing is that I don't have any ports forwarded, instead I have UPNP turned on but it doesn't show any devices under the forwarded list and I also have Nat Filtering set to open. Is there anything I should change ? And why do none of my devices show up under the upnp list ?
Message 41 of 64
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I wouldn't use DSLReports to test, bufferbloat only occurs when your network is saturated and that won't do it. Recommend following this guide to fine tune: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-test-your-connection
If you have an open NAT then don't change anything. It will only show ports when they're requested so may not appear when you're looking at it.
Message 42 of 64
Rick6922
Luminary

what I do on the xbox1x on bo4 is go to mutiplayer,then turn auto ping off so you can pick your own server.make sure your map distance is set wide.I live on the east coast [ kentucky] , the geo-filter shows me peers and two types of servers, a little server icon thats close to me and a bigger one thats around New York. if I pick the closer server icon my ping is higher. you dont what auto ping in cod, it will connect you to a peer.then you can make goe-filter distance just big enough to include that server. no one told me this and i had the geo-filter set just big enough to cover the hybrd sever for over a month. lol

Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 43 of 64
Impulse
Aspirant

Yeah on PS4 the servers don't show up when ur on the game, only the initial loading when u start it from the PlayStation menu lol
Message 44 of 64
Impulse
Aspirant

Hey, when playing BO4 on PS4 pro, the traffic prioritisation light turns on, but the packets don't change. I have it set to automatic duma os classified games. I also have QOS disabled selected (the reason being I get A+ on dsl regardless of qos.) Does disabling Qos also affect the prioritisation ? Or what exactly does it do. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that it's the same thing as selecting the anti bufferbloat sliders to NEVER?
Message 45 of 64
Impulse
Aspirant

Hey, I'm still having trouble with delayed bullet registration on BO4 on ps4. I know the net code is a bit dodgy, but I didn't have this issue before I switched to the xr500. Could you help me out with some settings ? Should I leave everything as default apart from the Qos sliders ? BTW I have an A+ bufferbloat with or without the sliders moved down.
Message 46 of 64
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

I personally would have QoS enabled as a DSL reports bufferbloat test is not necessarily full proof and you're relying on your ISP to be consistently high performing, which it may not be at peak times.

You should also setup your Geo-Filter optimally. Here's a full guide: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000077072-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-geo-...

One final thing to check is that your line quality is good.

(I responded to your Traffic Prio question in your other thread)

Message 47 of 64
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Edit: *One thing to check is that your line quality is good. There's a guide here on how to do this: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/23881-ping-plotter-quick-guide/

Message 48 of 64
Impulse
Aspirant

Thanks, I've checked the line quality and I have around 8-9ms consistently to Google, unless I do a speed test where that jumps to around 16-20ms. Is that too much ? One more thing, my speedtest on my PS4 shows an upload speed of 9-10Mbps instead of 40+Mbps as my other devices. The download speed is quite accurate though on it. And yes, I know the PS4 speedtest isn't the most reliable, but the upload speeds are high on the PS4 with a different router.
Message 49 of 64
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's not too much, it really depends on the quality and distance of the server to you. I wouldn't worry about that too much, the upload it's reporting is absolutely plenty for gaming as gaming uses much less than 1mbps.
Message 50 of 64
Discussion stats
  • 63 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7