× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Gaming Lag

zcg4755
Aspirant

Gaming Lag

I believe my wife's streaming habits are hogging up all of our bandwidth.  What can I do?  I've modified congestion control, updated bandwidth allocation, and checked traffic prioritization.  What am I doing wrong?

Message 1 of 14
zcg4755
Aspirant

Re: Gaming Lag

Message 2 of 14
zcg4755
Aspirant

Message 3 of 14
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Is the device your wife is streaming from connected to the XR router, or is it connected to the upstream router?

It needs to be connect to the XR in order for QoS to be able to prioritise your games over that traffic.

Message 4 of 14
zcg4755
Aspirant

The PS4 is connected to the XR router through wi-fi (2.4 GHz). The PS5 is hardwired to the router. They are both connected to the XR.
Message 5 of 14
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

So the streaming is taking place on the PS4?

Can you disable the DumaOS classified games rule, then add a new rule for your PS5 and select 'games console' as the service. See how it feels after that.

Message 6 of 14
zcg4755
Aspirant

Correct.  The PS4 has become a streaming machine.

I had a special rule created for the PS5, prior to last night, but it didn't seem to make any difference.  The network snapshot photo was taken a few minutes prior to the traffic priority photo.  I removed the rule to see if leaving the default options checked made any difference - it didn't.

I wish there was a way to limit bandwidth being allocated to the PS4.  Is that a thing?

Message 7 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You'll need to disable DumaOS Classified Games, it's quite possibly prioritizing the PS4 which is why setting Congestion Control isn't having much of an affect on it, then add your PS5 with the Games Console rule. If that doesn't work then you could limit it but it would limit other devices as well.
Message 8 of 14
zcg4755
Aspirant

Prior to late last night, I had both DumaOS Classified Games and Work At Home turned off with the PS5 rule on.  I didn't notice any difference.

Message 9 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is the model of the modem/router the XR is connected to? Are ALL devices connected to the XR? Do you have Congestion Control set to Always or Auto Enable?
Message 10 of 14
zcg4755
Aspirant

It's a Netgear Nighthawk CM1200 (CM1200100NAS).

All devices are connected to the router.  Prior to yesterday, I had Congestion Control set to always.  Last night, I switched it to auto-enable - just to see if it made any difference.  Which option is more preferable in my situation? Thanks.

Message 11 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would say use Always for the moment. You can try limiting by setting Bandwidth Allocation for the PS4 to a set bandwidth, leave all other devices as the defaults/equal, then disable Share Excess in the Bandwidth Allocation menu for Download and see if that works better. Every device will then be limited to their allocation so if you need more/less you'll have to adjust their allocation individually.
Message 12 of 14
zcg4755
Aspirant

Got it.  Thank you.

How do you limit bandwidth allocation for a particular device?  I've only been able to figure out how to do it by application, which I think is part of the problem.  I wonder if it thinks the PS4 is a gaming device - I tried changing it's function under Device Manager, but that didn't alter it's bandwidth allocation.

Where can I find the Share Excess option?  Do I click the menu button next to "Bandwidth Allocation - Download"?  I'm not at home right now; I apologize for my ignorance.

Message 13 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

So drag down the percentages for the device, you can switch at the top of the Bandwidth Allocation panel between Applications & Devices, so select Devices and then allocate. So the menu looks like this: ≡ click that and you can disable Share Excess from there. No worries, that's what we're here for!
Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7