× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Gaming lag and drops

Raidrew
Aspirant

Gaming lag and drops

Hello,

I buyed a new XR500 router to have better performances with my working Mac (I upload a lot of material and I'm far from the wifi station) and my PS4 (I experienced some minor lag, sometimes).

With the new Netgear router the Mac is working great, but I'm unable to play on the PS4. The first day everything went smooth, now I'm literally disconnecting and lagging every simple moment (I'm playing RDO).

I prioritez my PS4 but it doesn't work. With my 2013 Buffalo router and the same modem attached everything goes smooth without disconnections or lag.

Am I wrong on something?

I love the user interface, but as it is the product is useless.

Model: S8000| Nighthawk Gaming & Streaming Switch
Message 1 of 18
microchip8
Master

Re: Gaming lag and drops

Care to say on which firmware version? "the latest" is not a version

Message 2 of 18
Raidrew
Aspirant

My firmware version is V2.3.2.40

I check for updates and nothing is available. I have QoS set up to always, but if I disable it I will lose the main feature for this router.

Message 3 of 18
microchip8
Master

Try disabling QoS for a test to see if you still experience these issues. If so, problem lies somewhere else

Message 4 of 18
Raidrew
Aspirant

I will try. Also, I'm very disappointed.

I noticed used the companion app of the game that the issue is probably wifi related, because PS4 and my iPad are "wifi" connected and the update ratio of my iPad is sometimes very slow.

I also noticed this problem would appear after 5-10 minutes of gaming, with my chat voice decrease of quality and go quiet from time to time.

I hope I can fix it because I really like this piece of hardware, but as it is it's outclassed by a 2013 router with no settings at all.

Message 5 of 18
microchip8
Master

If disabling QoS results in no improvement, have you thought of a full factory reset and manually input the settings?

Message 6 of 18
Raidrew
Aspirant

The router is brand new, I don't think a factory reset could solve a lot of my issues. Also, I have already 20+ devices connected 🙂

What do you mean by manually input the settings?

Message 7 of 18
microchip8
Master

when doing a factory reset, the settings need to be manually configured. It other words, no backup file import as this defeats the purpose of a reset since it introduces the same old values that may be the cause of the problem (at least one or possibly more of them)

Message 8 of 18

@Raidrew wrote:

Hello,

I buyed a new XR500 router to have better performances with my working Mac (I upload a lot of material and I'm far from the wifi station) and my PS4 (I experienced some minor lag, sometimes).

You might get more informed answers in the section given over to your router:

Nighthawk Pro Gaming Routers - NETGEAR Communities

The DumaOS people who write the firmware are active there and probably don't see anything in this section.

Message 9 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

What are you speeds UP and Down that you pay for? 

Is the PS4 wired or wireless connected? Wired is preferred. 

@Raidrew wrote:

Hello,

With the new Netgear router the Mac is working great, but I'm unable to play on the PS4. The first day everything went smooth, now I'm literally disconnecting and lagging every simple moment (I'm playing RDO).

I prioritez my PS4 but it doesn't work. With my 2013 Buffalo router and the same modem attached everything goes smooth without disconnections or lag.

Am I wrong on something?

I love the user interface, but as it is the product is useless.

Message 10 of 18
Raidrew
Aspirant

I have the basic Telecom router, with a speed of 60mbps download and 20mbps upload.

I can't use my PS4 wired, I'm 6-7 meters away from the router, in another room.

The sad thing is that, as I said, yesterday I tried with my old 2013 Buffalo router and I have no issue at all.

I haven't the time to test if it was the QoS.

Message 11 of 18

@Raidrew wrote:

I have the basic Telecom router, with a speed of 60mbps download and 20mbps upload.

That is not a make and model number, as requested by @FURRYe38.

If it really is, as you say, a router, and not just a modem, that will complicate the issue.

Message 12 of 18
Raidrew
Aspirant

Yeah it's a router that my ISP give me. I disabled the wifi network and disabled the firewall.

As I said, the strange thing is that my other router works fine attached to the same modem + router 😕

I will share more info soon.

If I need to buy a modem, wich one would be the best to work with the XR500?

Message 13 of 18

Disabling the WiFi and the firewall (if that is possible) does not disable the router.
Message 14 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

A modem with out a built in router would be preferred. 

Any broadcom based modem is also preferred. 

@Raidrew wrote:

Yeah it's a router that my ISP give me. I disabled the wifi network and disabled the firewall.

As I said, the strange thing is that my other router works fine attached to the same modem + router 😕

I will share more info soon.

If I need to buy a modem, wich one would be the best to work with the XR500?

Message 15 of 18
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Most modems work fine, just avoid a modem with a Puma 6 chipset! https://www.classactionlawyers.com/puma6/

Message 16 of 18

@FURRYe38 wrote:

A modem with out a built in router would be preferred. 

Any broadcom based modem is also preferred. 

The advantages of that are not just that it is easier to configure a basic modem but that they are inexpensive.

We don't know what internet service you have, but for DSL I have the Netgear DM200. Inexpensive and fast to start up. In the past I have had a modem that took so long that the router beat it to it, and failed to get a connection.

Any make would probably be fine, but it can be easier to stick with one maker. You then get familiar with the graphical user interface (GUI) and, should you need it, you can get all the help you need in one place!

Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

@Raidrew 

@michaelkenward wrote:

The advantages of that are not just that it is easier to configure a basic modem but that they are inexpensive.

We don't know what internet service you have, but for DSL I have the Netgear DM200. Inexpensive and fast to start up. In the past I have had a modem that took so long that the router beat it to it, and failed to get a connection.

Any make would probably be fine, but it can be easier to stick with one maker. You then get familiar with the graphical user interface (GUI) and, should you need it, you can get all the help you need in one place!

Message 18 of 18
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7