× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Geo-Filter | Hybrid VPN questions from a newbie

MikeMadison
Follower

Geo-Filter | Hybrid VPN questions from a newbie

I just bought my XR500 yesterday and there are a few things unclear to me and I hope somebody can help me out here, mainly the VPN/Geofilter part. Here’s my gaming issue:

• Geo-Filter: the set location and distance, is this the actual location of the area my game searches for servers or is this my pc location?
  • Hybrid-VPN: If I set a VPN on my PC instead of in the XR500, will this make any difference?
  • Geo-Filter: If my friend sets his VPN to the same area as my XR500 Geo-Filter distance, will he be able to connect to my home-made game server wich has the same VPN range as my XR500 Geo-Filter range?

Looking forward to reading the replies.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 2
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Re: Geo-Filter | Hybrid VPN questions from a newbie

@MikeMadison wrote:
  • Geo-Filter: the set location and distance, is this the actual location of the area my game searches for servers or is this my pc location?

• It's actually both. To get low ping games, we reccomend putting it around your actual location, but you can put it wherever you want. For example, I'm in the UK, but I could put the Geo-Filter in the USA to play with American people if I wanted.

@MikeMadison wrote:
  • Hybrid-VPN: If I set a VPN on my PC instead of in the XR500, will this make any difference?

• A VPN on your PC will only affect your PC, whereas a VPN in Hybrid-VPN can be applied to multiple devices.

@MikeMadison wrote:
  • Geo-Filter: If my friend sets his VPN to the same area as my XR500 Geo-Filter distance, will he be able to connect to my home-made game server wich has the same VPN range as my XR500 Geo-Filter range?

• You don't even need to use Geo-Filter for that. You could use the XR500's built in VPN Service (Settings > Advanced Settings > VPN Service) to allow your friend access to your home network. He could then join your games as if they were LAN games.

In order to get your friend connected, enable VPN Service on your XR500, download the config package from the page, then get your friend to install the openvpn client. Give your friend the config package, and when he opens that package in the VPN client, he should be connected directly to you. Now just start your game as if you were on the same LAN.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7