× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Geofilter problems

heroxoot
Apprentice

Geofilter problems

Im having problems with my GEOFILTER. I can use it if I set my PC to Console but otherwise it wont populate a list. If I do that it wont let my PC connect to some websites or discord servers outside the range.  I just want it set for Unreal Engine for fighting games (Tekken, SFV, SC6, etc). Why won't it populate? My PC has a static IP, set to unreal engine, flushed cloud. What else do I do?

Also, I have an XR450, not 500, but it seems to be the same besides the 2.4ghz band.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 10
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi there - the Unreal Engine will not work for those games unforunately. So the workaround is exactly as you have done (set your PC as a console).

I'm afraid there's no easy solution to this  - the best thing to do is leave your device in Spectating mode most of the time. But when you go to search for a game, just switch ti back to Filtering Mode. It won't block any active connection (e.g. an open website or a chat service you have going) and it will then filter for the game.

Message 2 of 10
heroxoot
Apprentice

Alright but how do I get it to just allow all connections like this? When I set it up as I have it, it will block stuff outside the radius. It blocked a discord server on me that was right on the outer edge and for a hot 10 minutes I was really confused what was happening.  Do I turn off strict mode? Realistically I just wanna see the ping of the players around me and block people outside NA from playing me. 

Message 3 of 10
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

When you are in Spectating Mode, nothing will be blocked. So only when you search for a game and need the filter to kick in should you switch to Filtering Mode. Then go back to Spectating Mode once you have found a match within your distance range. Does that make sense?

Message 4 of 10
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

This approach will ensure nothing is blocked other than other players, because you will only be in blocking (filtering) when you are searching for a game.

Message 5 of 10
heroxoot
Apprentice

Its working now but before it was still blocking in spectator. Maybe rebooting my PC helped.  My only problem now is when someone disconnects from me, they stay populated on my map when I play Tekken. In SFV they disappear once they stop connecting. Makes it hard to figure out who I'm pinging.

Message 6 of 10
heroxoot
Apprentice

Yea I think my only issues now is slow pinging and people stick on the map longer than I'd like making it hard to determine who is the connection.

Message 7 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It might not be the player on the map, what does the symbol look like/what does the domain name say? It could be an auth server which makes sense why its still present. Do you have auto ping enabled, that should solve slow ping/not having to find the host to ping.
Message 8 of 10
heroxoot
Apprentice

They are indeed players. They do go away after a while. Most of them are easily identified as players with domains that say stuff like FiOS and Comcast. They just stick around longer for some reason in tekken compared to other games.
Message 9 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It must be to do with how the game processes the match after it ends. If it's just that game then thats fine, the Geo-Filter is just reporting the connections that are happening
Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7