× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Getting "400 Bad Request" on VLAN tagging

hamsot
Guide

Getting "400 Bad Request" on VLAN tagging

Hello, I am trying to setup my XR500 to connect to my CentryLink fiber. The internet connection uses PPPoE and VLAN Tagging 201. When I tried to edit the existing or create a new VLAN tag group, I got a 400 Bad Request error.

If I can't get this to work, the XR500 is no good to me and will need to return the device. Any help is appreciated.

Message 1 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi hamsot, was this happening when going through the setup wizard when you first accessed the router or was this after you went through the wizard?

If during the wizard try to complete it so you can access the interface, then go to Settings > Advanced settings and try to set it from there.

Given that the issue is preventing you from accessing the internet I would highly recommend calling Netgear Support. If you go here: https://www.netgear.com/support/ and login you should get provided with a phone number to call.
Message 2 of 14
hamsot
Guide

Hi Fraser,

The wizard didn't get very far to me so I used manual settings instead. I tried to change it manually in Settings > Advanced setting and it gave me the 400 Bad Request error.

I will call Tech Support and see what they can do.

Thank you for your help.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Netgear Tech Support should be able to help with that! Do update us to let us know how you get on.
Message 4 of 14
hamsot
Guide

I spent two hours with Netgear Tech Support.  My hats off to them for being so patient with me. However, the ticket is still opened and they are still trying to resolve the issue.

Message 5 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear it's still an ongoing issue & that they were unable to resolve it.

I have passed the issue up to the Netgear Development team to take a look at.
Message 6 of 14
hamsot
Guide

Thanks but I believed it's a separate issue.

Message 7 of 14
hamsot
Guide

Thank you!  Here is what I am trying to do with the router:

https://superuser.com/questions/1148268/how-to-ditch-centurylink-fiber-modem

I have a Linksys WRT32X gaming router and managed to get it working with the above setup. However, the WRT32X has very limited functionalities and reliability.  If I can get the Netgear XR500 to work, I don't need to keep my CentryLink modem. If you can pass it to the development team, that would be great.

Message 8 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yep they are already aware & as it's easy to reproduce they can hopefully look into a fix!
Message 9 of 14
hamsot
Guide

Fraser: Thank you! I look forward to the next firmware update.

Case850: Sorry, you are right. I should have read the entire thread from the beginning. I am going to figure out how to telnet into the XR500 and see if I can get it to work also.

Message 10 of 14
hamsot
Guide

Just to everyone knows that I received a beta version of the firmware from L2 tech support. I was able to change VLAN ID tag and got my Internet connection working. It's been working well so far.

Message 11 of 14
Danman61
Star

I wish they would post this somewhere as I have the same issue

everytime I try to edit the vlan tag it sends an error 400

i have had an Asus 3100ac working in this exact setup routers working here with vlan tagging

Currently on hold with support (been almost an hour now)...

Message 12 of 14
hamsot
Guide

Hey Danman61,

The issue has been fixed in v2.2.1.10 firmware for me. Are you still having issue with that version?

Message 13 of 14
Danman61
Star

Yea after being on hold (for what seemed like forever) I got the issue resolved.

Turns out the firmware that I downloaded didnt take after booting up the router for the first time.

Finally got it updated to 2.2.1.10 and now the tagging works as it should

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7