× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hard wired XBOX one to router and receiving high Ping

CD56
Aspirant

Hard wired XBOX one to router and receiving high Ping

I know i have read through the fourms a couple times and done a lot of things that wveryone has said, but here is my ditch effort to try and get some help instead of fixing it myself.

I have spectrum internet and upgraded services a couple months back to 400 Down/ 20-40 UP depending on the day, prior to upgrading i had 200/15. When i had the 200MBS i was wireless and receiving about 175 DOWN /15 UP with about 30-37ms ping to my XBOX ONE. Now with the upgraded I get between 400-450 DOWN /15-25 UP with a 80-95ms PING. I did hardwire the XBOX to the router to see if that would help and it didnt. I called Spectrum and they would not fool with my router, rightfully so not their hardware, but when they came out they were pulling close to 600 down/35 up and around 4-7 Ping off the modem. I upgraded frimware on the router, i have reboot the roter and modem more times than the law allows. please someone help.  

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Re: Hard wired XBOX one to router and receiving high Ping

If you direct connect to the modem, what ping times do YOU get? not the tech. 

There's also a guide for optimizing settings for DumaOS. have you read through it a bit? 

http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/folders/16000090646

Message 2 of 14
CD56
Aspirant

Ping times are back to normal but then I lose internet to the whole house and wife is mot a happy camper when that happens. I will read through
Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

the checking the modem is just that, ensuring the modem isn't causing the issues.
What modem is it from spectrum?
Message 4 of 14
CD56
Aspirant

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the mfr and model# of this modem?

Message 6 of 14
CD56
Aspirant

I ran through the start up guide again and adjusted all settings Still getting high ping. Also connected to the Modem again and the ping increased to higher than normal. I reset everything thinking that would do the trick but it didnt 

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the mfr and model# of this modem?

Message 8 of 14
CD56
Aspirant

Thought it sent yesterday sorry.
Model: E31U2V1
Make: Spectrum
Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like the problem is with your ISP service and the modem. 

You'll need to work with your ISP and have them help you get this cleaned up. 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

You might try a different modem if thats possible with Spectrum. 

Message 10 of 14
CD56
Aspirant

I will look into this and let you know
Message 11 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Just to be clear, when you checked through the modem, are you also checking on the Xbox network settings or somewhere else like speedtest.net?

The ping in the Xbox network settings is just the ping to their authentication/live servers - basically so they can ensure you're paying for Xbox Live. It has no bearing on your actual game ping and based on what you have said that will be much lower. It is likely the Geo-Filter that is blocking a server causing the higher ping reading.
Message 12 of 14
CD56
Aspirant

Yes i checked modem speed test and online tests all those tests are good but xbox is not.

How do i fix that portion with Geo - Filter?

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Just to be clear, when you checked through the modem, are you also checking on the Xbox network settings or somewhere else like speedtest.net?

The ping in the Xbox network settings is just the ping to their authentication/live servers - basically so they can ensure you're paying for Xbox Live. It has no bearing on your actual game ping and based on what you have said that will be much lower. It is likely the Geo-Filter that is blocking a server causing the higher ping reading.

Message 13 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Console speed tests won't always be accurate, if you disable Traffic Prioritization it may improve. Gaming uses less than 1Mbps so you've got plenty.

As I mentioned that ping is irrelevant to your online experience. If you disable the Geo-Filter then start the console you may see it go back down, if so then enable again and ignore the reading.
Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7