× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Has a known power cycling issue but netgear won't do anything to fix it.

Bossmansays
Aspirant

Has a known power cycling issue but netgear won't do anything to fix it.

First off I bought it refurbished which should have been the first red flag. Any product sold enough for Amazon to have stock in to buy it refurbished is not a good sign. Let me tell you my tale to stay away from the xr500 and probably Netgear in general since they only put a 6 month warranty. (red flag number 2 to show you how terrible a company is) I was 2 months outside of the warranty period and I'm thinking hey Netgear is a good company an extra two months shouldn't matter, but unfortunately the nutsack that netgear hired for a customer service rep and his supervisor were super stickler for the rules (3rd red flag).

Why wouldn't they want to take care of Customer especially with a high end piece of equipment? But they wanted a screen shot of my actual purchase just to make sure they could say no. (4th red flag) I spent $250 bucks on it you'd figure they'd give me some leeway, but nope they wanted to play hardball.

I should have done more research into the modem. There are tons of posts with the model having the very same issue, yet Netgear is such a terrible company they'll only give out 1 year warranty for their brand new products. (5th red flag) that's utterly pathetic by industry standards.

So let this be warning for anyone in the warranty period. If you can buy an extended warranty do so, if you can return the modem, go with a different model or company because it's not a matter of if the router goes down, just when.

Take care and stay safe.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

So you're complaining because the refurbished product you bought with a 6 month warranty isn't getting a free warranty outside of the 6 month period? 

The reason its cheaper is because its refurbished and has a shorter warranty. If you'd wanted a longer warranty, buy new or buy an extended warranty. 

https://www.aconsciousrethink.com/4561/5-ways-sense-entitlement-reveals/

If you're posting on here for help, we're happy to help but complaining because you're not getting a free extended warranty is a bit asinine. 

Message 2 of 8
Bossmansays
Aspirant

No I'm mad at netgear not accepting there's a major problem with the router. But you keep on riding that netgear **bleep**. There's no fix for a faulty design. Hence why they only give out a 6 month warranty.
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

well tell us about the "major problem" 

Maybe we can help fix it. this is the community forum for members to help others out. We're not employees, we're not paid. 

We're just people trying to help others out. 

Being rude isn't goint to get you better help. Its just going to get the post ignored and then you truly will have a paper weight. 

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible that the refurb unit was faulty from the get go and hasn't been properly looked at or should have been returned to NG for review or RMA. Just power ON the router by someone who is not experienced enough to tell if the router is really working or not is not a good review. Most retailers may not have anyone experienced ehough to review returned products other than, doe it light up or do the LEDs come on. This would give false indications that the unit may have more or deeper problems than it appears. Thus the original buyer had found problems with it, returned it to Amazon with out maybe explaing what the problem was and whom ever at Amazon did a quick check, saw it powered on then put in back in the box and then it went back up for sale as a refurb. 

Just becuase your unit you have is having problems doesn't mean this is a design that effects the entire product line. If it was, we'd see more posts about this. Mine works just fine. Though my unit was bought brand new. 

If your offiered an opportunity to get a RMA with NG then please do all you can to afford NG the chance to help you out. Including screen or picture captures. I've done the same thing with my XR450 a while ago and got an RMA with not much trouble. 

If feel the router needs to be returned, then if NG won't RMA for you, then return the refurb unit to Amazon and put in a note to Amazon specifically and state that the unit needs to be returned to NG for repairs as it needs to be looked at further by NG. Also state that the unit should not be put back up for sale. 

Message 5 of 8
Bossmansays
Aspirant

The problem is the input from the modem. It can't properly recieve the info and when it tries to it shorts out and power cycles. Netgear knows this and this is why they only offer the 6 month warranty. They figure the board will take a **bleep** right after the warranty period so they get their money twice. It's quite the little scheme they have going.

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the mfr and model of this modem? 

Your best best would be to return the XR to Amazon if you feel the unit is faulty. If your modem is causing problems then I would check the modem conditions as well. 

Good Luck. 

Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Unplug power from both, then power on the router, wait 1-2 minutes then turn on the modem. They should establish a connection once the modem has finished booting. If the reboot issue continues is it plugged into a power extender? Sometimes plugging directly into a wall outlet can resolve this.
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7