× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Having trouble configuring intial setup on XR500

MrReeceNC
Star

Having trouble configuring intial setup on XR500

I just bought a Netgear XR500 and I seem to have a issue with the initial setup on netgear routers.  Everytime I go to do initial setup it doesn't detect my internet connection.  Yes I always power cycle the modem when installing a new router.  For some reason I have to config myself to get past that part, then I reboot the modem and router and it works.  It's currently using my computer's MAC address instead of the routers.  Is there any way to fix this because I'm also getting only half of my download speeds.  I'm no expert on this but I want to get it properly configured because I don't see why it has to use my computer MAC address in the first place.  My only idea is that I originally had a linksys and replaced it a year ago with the R6400v2 and had the same exact issue.  It's like my modem doesn't play nice with netgear routers or something.  I attached a picture of my settings. If you need more info which I'm sure you will just let me know. 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9
MrReeceNC
Star

Update: Updating the firmware fixed the half download speed issue for me.

Message 2 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you change it now in Internet Setup to use the Default address and then apply what happens it can't get a connection? In the QoS page click on the 3 line icon for Anti-Bufferbloat and input your expected speeds, that should resolve that issue.
Message 3 of 9
MrReeceNC
Star

Yeah I just tried it and it killed the connection, had to reboot both modem and router at the same time like I used to with my old R6400v2.  I mean the internet is working and all but I just wish I knew why these routers aren't picking up the connection on setup wizard.  The speed issue was remedied after a firmware update and reboot though.

Message 4 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's very strange. What ISP are you with? Do you require PPPoE or VLAN at all? Whats your modem model?
Message 5 of 9
MrReeceNC
Star

No it uses neither of those.  my old linksys could just plug in and connect right away.  My Arris Surfboard and this modem did the same thing with the other netgear router too.  It may just be that my ISP has this weird issue with Netgear hardware.

Message 6 of 9
MrReeceNC
Star

The current modem is a technicolor DPC3216

Message 7 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you still have that old linksys? Could you give the XR the MAC address of the linksys instead?
Message 8 of 9
MrReeceNC
Star

I do, haven't thought of trying that yet.  I'll give that a shot tomorrow after I get home.  Thanks for all your help and suggestions they are much appreciated.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7