× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help with XR500 Ping Spikes in Dota

Mikey_Boi
Aspirant

Help with XR500 Ping Spikes in Dota

Hello everyone first post.

So i've got a BT Home Hub 6, problem im having is getting 35 ping in Dota 2 when its just me using the internet. As soon as someone starts streaming i get ping spikes every 8 seconds upto the 130ms resulting in Dota 2 stutters.

Watched a few youtube videos and decided i liked the sound of the XR500 to manage the network. So i bought today the XR500 and a TP Link TD-W9970.

Been playing with it all for a few hours getting it set up and everything works nice and fast except the problem still happens, maybe even worse now.

in cmd i pinged 146.66.152.2 (Dota EU East) and got a steady Min 33ms Max 34ms and Ave 33ms

with Netflix on iPad for example Min 33ms Max 418ms Ave 88ms, feels like every 8 pings there is a spike

in cmd i pinged 146.66.152.2 and got a steady Min 33ms Max 34ms and Ave 33ms

Internet -  UK BT FTTC  44 up 15 down

Hardware - W9970 in bridge mode ethernet cable to the XR500 then Cable to my PC.

The TV is also cabled though a TP Link Powerline but ic could even be a wireless iPad that causes this to happen.

In QOS i've set my 70% up and 70% down my PC i've set to 50% band width up and down. I even tried it at 100% and is still didnt help.

Am i missing something obvious? Starting to feel a bit foolish buying these devices and having these problems. Any assistance or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance Mike

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Re: Help with XR500 Ping Spikes in Dota

I've seen this problem occuring a lot with BT connections. It's possible that this is some video prioritization that BT performs on their end, which can't be fixed by us...

It might not be that however. My initial suggestion would be to perform the test outlined in the following link: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/23881-ping-plotter-quick-guide/ 

Message 2 of 4
Mikey_Boi
Aspirant

Ok. Thanks very much for the response. They were round today and said everything is fine and told them about the problem. The usual test for 14 days. I’ve returned the hardware today sorry. Will definitely be returning to Netgear once I get some sort of solution. Thanks again.
Message 3 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear you returned it, if it wasn't the issue above then it was probably just a case of incorrect QoS settings. We do hope you'll consider a DumaOS powered router in the future.
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7