× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help with slow XR500 speeds

Gradyj
Tutor

Help with slow XR500 speeds

Hello so I just switched to 1 gig fiber internet. I previously had 450 mbps charter. I ran a speed test with charter on wifi (5Gz) right before the Fiber installer showed up (3pm), I got 442 down, 21.5 up 14 ping and 2 jitter. After he installed the fiber, I got 352 down, 239 up, 4 ping and 1 jitter.
All over 5Gz wifi.

The ethernet results for the fiber are 901 down, 237 up, 14 ping.

Why would my router be SLOWER on WIFI with 1 gig fiber than it is with 450 mbps charter?? The router is only about a month old and is up to date. Thanks in advance.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Help with slow XR500 speeds

I would factory reset and go through the setup wizard so that it can adjust to the new connection you have, then see if it performs better.
Message 2 of 23
Gradyj
Tutor

I tried. It actually made it worse. I'm down to under 300mbps over wifi on 5GHz.
Message 3 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What speeds are you getting wired to the router?
Message 4 of 23
Gradyj
Tutor

After a factory reset:

Wired:
937 down 247 up 3ms ping

5 GHz Wifi:
75 down 120 up 5ms ping

All factory settings.

Doubled checked firmware is up to date. Router was purchased on February 8th 2021

Added screenshot of wired test results.
Message 5 of 23
Gradyj
Tutor

Here's screenshot of 5GHz Wifi results.
Message 6 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay that's a good sign. On a PC use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel (non DFS) and change to that for 5GHz. How far away is the device from the router?
Message 7 of 23
Gradyj
Tutor

I'm not sure how to do that. Do you have a link to an analyzer that you reccomend? Also how do I change the channel?

My device is less than 5 feet away. I am actually sitting on the floor in front of it.
Message 8 of 23
Gradyj
Tutor

So I figured out how to analyze wifi. I switched channels.
Now I'm getting 349 mbps down 247 mbps upload on 5GHz wifi.
Still down 100 mbps that I was getting with charter and well below the 1gig wifi this router supposedly can achieve.
Message 9 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

For a WiFi analyzer there is a free one on the Microsoft Store for Windows 10 that is just called WiFi analyzer. That's a good sign then - if you can find the least congested one then it should improve further.
Message 10 of 23
Gradyj
Tutor

Okay so why won't this router live up to its potential?
I cannot get over 350 mbps on 5GHz with 1 gig fiber.
I got 450 mbps on 5GHz with charter internet.
Message 11 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you have any wireless devices e.g. headphones or any electrical devices within close proximity to the router as these can interfere with the signal. Also position the antennae like this _ | | _
Message 12 of 23
Gradyj
Tutor

No I don't. It's by itself in the middle of a wall next to the modem.
Message 13 of 23
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

OK that sounds fine, which channel did you change the Wi-Fi to? Did speeds increase at all after this?

Do you have QoS or any other features configured yet?

Message 14 of 23
Gradyj
Tutor

I tried several different ones. Nothing changed much, only got better momentarily. I disabled QoS. That seemed to help the most. I also disabled 20/40 mhz coexist. That helped a little too.

There is only 1 other 5 GHz signal near my home. Im on a completely different channel range than they are.
Message 15 of 23
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

OK, it makes sense that disabling QoS will increase speeds. 

So what model of modem are you using exactly? Is it in any kind of bridge or modem mode?

Message 16 of 23
Gradyj
Tutor

Im not sure the brand. It belongs to the fiber company. It puts out 950 mbps download and 250 mbps upload when you test it directly.
I just am wondering why my XR500 router isn't putting out the speeds it is rated for.
Message 17 of 23
Gradyj
Tutor

I just got home.
It's an Adtran 411 fiber modem.
Message 18 of 23
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Thank you!

Do you have another router that you can put inbetween the XR and the Adtran and see if it gets full speeds?

Message 19 of 23
Gradyj
Tutor

I arm confused on why that is relevant. This same exact router achieved higher speeds shortly before with internet that was much slower.
Could you start helping me with settings? Or ? Because I feel like we're not getting anywhere.
Message 20 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Liam was attempting to see whether there was an incompatibility between the modem and router - if after placing another router between them the XR received full speeds then that would indicate a compatibility issue. I actually think I know the problem though, as you've essentially had new internet installed it can take some time for the ISP to sync up properly - while this happens the speeds can be reduced. If they haven't increased by the end of the week I'd call the ISP to see if they can manually allow it.
Message 21 of 23
Gradyj
Tutor

I hope I didn't come off as rude. My apologies.
Okay. Well I'll check again on Friday. I'll come back and let you guys know what I find out. Thanks
Message 22 of 23
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Not at all! I probably should've explained my reasoning anyway... Let us know how you get on!

Message 23 of 23
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7