× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: High Packet loss on XR500

ItsRao
Guide

High Packet loss on XR500

Hello everyone, seeing if you can help me with my PL issue. 

I have a XR500 and I am experiencing horrible packet loss. My router is updated to latest firmware, plugged directly into my pc. When playing Overwatch I get horrible latency spikes, hitting into the 200s at times and then settling back down to the normal 35-40, then spiking again. I have included a pingplotter screenshot, where I connected to an Overwatch server when I was playing. Any help is greatly appreciated! 

i have had my ISP out before and they said it was a modem issue, I replaced the modem to a netgear one and this issue is still persistant. They checked all of my lines and everything looked good. I have replaced the cables connecting my eequipment as well as my pc to eliminate anything. I am kinda stumped. 

Geo-filter, QoS are all set up following recommendations I have read and watched. If you need any further information let me know. 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 17
plemans
Guru

What modem do you have? 

Is it only happening on the one game? Or all games?

Have you noticed that on your ping plotter, the slowdown isn't internal to your network? 

It could be the server you're playing off.  

Message 2 of 17
ItsRao
Guide

I have the CM600 for my modem. No matter what game I play it occurs, overwatch is my most played.
I've eliminated every variable on my pc that I can. Both hardware and software.
Message 3 of 17
plemans
Guru

Have you tried with it directly connected to the modem?

Message 4 of 17
ItsRao
Guide

I have not, I will try it out and see what happens.
Message 5 of 17
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Thank you, let us know how that goes!

How do you have QoS configured exactly? Feel free to provide a screenshot if easier.

Message 6 of 17
ItsRao
Guide

So after connecting directly to the modem, I am experiencing the same issues on Overwatch. The two below screenshots are from Overwatch and their network graph and then my QoS settings on my XR500. Overwatch network stats connected to the modem directly.Overwatch network stats connected to the modem directly.My QoS settings, DEREK is my main PC connected directly to the router.My QoS settings, DEREK is my main PC connected directly to the router.

Message 7 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I can't see the screenshots unfortunately as they have to be allowed by a moderator. Could you provide a link to them on imgur for example or attach them to the post?
Message 8 of 17
plemans
Guru

Or you can click on "choose file" and attach them individually. Then we can view them right away without a moderator having to approve them. 

If your having the same issues directly connected to the modem, the router isn't likely the issue. 

Its either the gaming server, your isp, the isp's line, or the modem. 

Message 9 of 17
ItsRao
Guide

QoS.JPG

Message 10 of 17
ItsRao
Guide

Message 11 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes that's good thank you. As above, if you're connected to the modem and experiencing it then indicates it's nothing the router could help with. What is your modem model?
Message 12 of 17
ItsRao
Guide

My modem is the Netgear CM600 

Message 13 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

A pure modem then, so it's definitely not something the router can tackle on its own. It could be the modem or your routing to the server from the ISP etc.
Message 14 of 17
ItsRao
Guide

I bought the CM600 to replace my old ASUS modem to filter our possible causes. I think at this point I need to have my ISP come out and check the lines and see what they can figure out. I hope they can fix this issue. 

Message 15 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sounds like it unfortunately. Do keep us updated. A bit of advice - I would remove the router before they arrive because they will blame that even if the evidence points to the contrary.
Message 16 of 17
ItsRao
Guide

Thanks for the advice, I will be sure to do that.

Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7