× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

High bufferbloat reading on download

EQJunky
Guide

High bufferbloat reading on download

With QOS enabled my bufferbloat reading on dsl reports is an F with massive ping spikes into the red. I installed the latest firmware. Speedtest on the router is measuring my download speed at 180 down and I have a gig speed download connection. The upload speed seems accurate and the bufferbloat reading on upload is more stable. With QOS disabled the dsl reports bufferbloat score is still a D or F with high ping spikes. I returned my XR500 and got this router but it’s not any better. It’s actually worse. Any suggestions?
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: High bufferbloat reading on download

I'd be looking at my modem if you're tried changing routers and still getting the same issue.

1. What modem is it?

2. do you have a picture of your modems connections page?

3. If you directly connect to the modem and run the bufferbloat test, what results do you get?

Message 2 of 7
EQJunky
Guide

The modem is a netgear cm1000. I just bought it and I wasn’t having this problem with my old router. If I limit the bandwidth in my s8000 switch to 512 down and 32 up my dsl reports bufferbloat scores go to A+ As soon as I turn on any form of QOS on the router my scores go back to F. With the switch completely disconnected my download bufferbloat scores are F.
Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

So a couple tests to try.

CM1000 alone:

CM1000----R8000:

CM1000---R8000---S8000:

Are you using qos of both the router and the switch? limit it to a single device controlling qos.

Any other monitors being used like traffic monitoring, parental controls, disney circle?

Message 4 of 7
EQJunky
Guide

Disney, parental, traffic meter are all turned off. If I use the QOS on the router and turn off all limits in the switch my bufferbloat is an F. If I turn off QOS on the router and adjust up limit to 32 and down limit to 512 in the switch I can get A+ bufferbloat readings. It just seems like my bufferbloat shouldn’t be so bad with just QOS handled at the router. And my speed is very slow. It seems more of a problem with download readings, upload isn’t bad. I have a gig down connection but through speedtest on the router it keeps saying my speed is only less than 200 down? And my WiFi speed is slow too? This is like Chinese algebra!
Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

Message 6 of 7
EQJunky
Guide

Does this have something to do with setting up QOS in group policy editor in Windows 10? I can't believe i need to go through all of this just to get decent bufferbloat on download with QOS enabled? With QOS disabled the bufferbload score is much better than with QOS enabled and I'm not sure why? I shouldn't be getting an F on download and a great upload bufferbloat reading? I can't believe i need to adjust group policy editor when it isn't even enabled on Windows 10 home edition?

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7