× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Higher Ping after XR500 Installation

ahall1993
Aspirant

Higher Ping after XR500 Installation

I have had my XR500 router installed for a little over a month now, and I am still unable to find the right settings to lower my ping.  My ISP is Charter Spectrum, and I was getting much better ping on Fortnite servers using the generic router that came with the intial install.  I was runng about 20-25 nad now am around 45 ping on average.  I was hoping that this upgrade would make it better, but it has gotten worse!

Any tips/tricks on the settings would be greatly appreciated!

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 22
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

First, take a look at the following guides to make sure it's all set up correctly:

QoS: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000077073-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-qos

Geo-Filter: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000077072-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-geo-...

With QoS and Geo-Filter set up correctly, you should see a marked improvement to ping.

Message 2 of 22
ahall1993
Aspirant

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the quick response.  I have made the adjustments to the settings as stated in both articles you posted, but it doesnt seem to be making much of a difference.  Do you have any other suggestions?

Message 3 of 22
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Sounds like you might need to manually prioritize your device. Add your gaming device to the Traffic Prioritization panel under the Games Console profile.

Message 4 of 22
ahall1993
Aspirant

I have added my device to the traffic prioritization.  This did not seem to have much effect on the outcome.  I also truned off share excess bandwidth in hopes that it will help.  Do you think this might work?

Message 5 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are ALL devices connected to the XR500 router or do you still have some connected to the ISP hub? All devices should be connected to the router so it can control the connection properly. How are you measuring the ping, from the in game reading? What does the ping say on the Geo-Filter?
Message 6 of 22
ahall1993
Aspirant

All of my wireless devices are connected to the XR500.  I am currently using in game ping as the measurement tool as the ping measurements on DumaOs dont load during gameplay for whatever reason.  I keep the browser open and check during games to see what the ping is doing, but there is never any data populated.  Currently, I am playing Fortnite, not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Message 7 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you disable Auto Ping and then ping manually does it load properly?
Message 8 of 22
ahall1993
Aspirant

I have disabled auto ping, but a mstill not able to get a reading through DumaOs. Are their any other ways that I can try to measure ping?  

Message 9 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

So when you manually ping i.e. click on an icon it still doesn't load the ping panel properly?
Message 10 of 22
ahall1993
Aspirant

I cannot get the ping secton to load doing any of the options we have gone through.  Is there a way for support to remote into my computer to check the settings?  I would greatly appreciate it!

Message 11 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you playing Call of Duty? If so it's a bug we are aware of affecting a small number of users. Two things to try, in WAN Settings make sure respond to internet ping is ticked. On Call of Duty in the network settings make your IP visible instead of hidden - one user said this resolved it.

Also how is your ISP router connected to the XR? Modem, bridge mode or using the DMZ? Do you have an Open NAT?
Message 12 of 22
ahall1993
Aspirant

Currently, I am only playing Fortnite.  My XR500 is connected directly do the modem.  I am not currently using the ISP router that was originally installed.  

I am not sure if I have an open NAT.  I have adjusted the settings based on your previous reply.  I will update once I try it out.

Message 13 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay let us know, also could you attach a picture of the ping not loading please?
Message 14 of 22
ahall1993
Aspirant

Played a few games and the ping issue does not seem to be fixed.  Attached is a screenshot of what my DumaOs looks like while in a Fortnite Game.

Message 15 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay so the issue is you're not actually seeing anything on the map rather than the ping issue. Could you attach a screenshot of the very top of the Geo-Filter please?
Message 16 of 22
ahall1993
Aspirant

See attached.

Message 17 of 22
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

I would suggest:

• Go to Device Manager
  • Change your PC's device type to Xbox or PlayStation (doesn't matter which one)
  • Go back to Geo-Filter
  • Remove your PC from the Devices panel
  • Add it to the Devices panel again
  • Now try playing a game
Message 18 of 22
ahall1993
Aspirant

This seems to allow for my device to ping the server and other players.  My only question is, I have players in my party that are located in cities within my geo-filter, but it is showing them as outside of the range, in different states.  

I am not familiar with how this works, just throught it was odd.  Also, i have been unable to adjust the settings to help with the high ping I have been experiencing.  Thank you both for the continued support. 

Message 19 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

IPs can sometimes me mislocated on the map, especially normal consumer IPs that aren't dedicated servers. Add them to your allow list and you'll have no problem connecting to them when your Geo-Filter is in Filtering Mode.

What servers are you connecting to in relation to your location? Have you selected the correct region in the game as well?

70% is a starting point for QoS and it isn't always optimal for everyone. Follow this guide while saturating your connection with downloads, streams etc and change your Anti-Bufferbloat percentages until you find what lowers your ping/keeps it as stable as possible: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping
Message 20 of 22
ahall1993
Aspirant

Thank you, I will make sure to add them to the allow list on the geo-filter. 

Currently, I am gettign connection to the server in Virginia, exclusively.  I live in Michigan, but when I set my geo-filter on filtering mode to get the Ohio server only for the game, I can never connect to the server.  I am making sure that I am connected to the correct server in game as well.   (Fortnite server and settings)

Message 21 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The way Fortnite works is that it only attempts to connect to a server when it is in the loading screen after you have readied up. So what I would advise is use Spectating Mode and look at the map, if you don't get the Ohio server then quit and research until you do. Unfortunately we can't block the server until the game tries to connect.
Message 22 of 22
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7