× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Higher Ping

jkraft24
Initiate

Higher Ping

After setup I have a higher ping on speedtest and dsl reports... i went from 15ms to 40ms. Did I do something wrong or is this an issue?

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 28

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Please download & install TeamViewer: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows/ once installed open it up and send me via PM the ID & Password it shows you. Then I can connect and take a look.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 28

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi jkraft,

This will be a settings/physical setup issue as ping would not increase by any meaningful amount by adding another router to your setup.

Firstly you should make sure that all devices are connected to the XR500 otherwise the QoS cannot control everything. Secondly make sure you're using a wired PC to do the speed test.

In terms of settings, on the QoS page set Anti-Bufferbloat to 'Always' and then put both the download & upload sliders to 70% each.

Make sure everything is setup as above then try again please and let me know how you get on. If that doesn't help I can do a 1 on 1 with you to get your issue resolved quickly.
Message 2 of 28
jkraft24
Initiate

Not sure what to do at this point, I hook old router back up and I have 17ms and come back to new one I have 37ms... I have tried everything.

Message 3 of 28
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Please download & install TeamViewer: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows/ once installed open it up and send me via PM the ID & Password it shows you. Then I can connect and take a look.
Message 4 of 28
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Just to update, the fix to this issue was to set the XR500's MAC address to the same one as the previous router that was connected to the modem.
Message 5 of 28
Xolhid
Apprentice

Fraser Is it a bug that can be fixed, or an issue with the modem not liking the MAC ID? Just curious.
Message 6 of 28
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's not a bug, it's just a general setup situation which can happen with any router/modem. I have seen it before. I believe it is just a case of the ISP/modem not properly acclimatising to the new MAC until it does a rescan after a few days.
Message 7 of 28
Jreal
Aspirant

How to get lower ping? My ping and bufferbloat is worse than when I had my netduma r1. What could the issue be? I heard something about changing the MAC address?
Message 8 of 28
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Jreal, is the increased ping on a speedtest like DSLReports or on the game itself? DSLReports can give an inaccurate reading for bufferbloat compared to the R1, this is due to the fact that on the XR500 the enterprise level deep packet inspection analyses the first few packets of the test.

If your ping on speedtest.net is over double what it is when connected to your modem/router and no one is using the internet then in Settings > Internet Setup set the router MAC address to the router you previously were using instead of the R1.

For QoS I recommend setting Anti-Bufferbloat to 70% for both download & upload. Then for Traffic Prioritization ensure that DumaOS Classified Games is enabled. On the Geo-Filter ensure your device is set to Filtering Mode & use a profile from the Geo-Filter Map for the game you're playing.
Message 9 of 28
Jreal
Aspirant

I did not have another router. I was only using the R1 and I had bought a new modem. Yes I use dsl reports as previously recommended by you guys in the past. When I use the XR500 my bufferbloat is a B and my ping is all over. I have had my ISP fix every little thing that could be wrong but I think the issue is from the router. I love the router and I want it to work, but the dsl reports make it difficult
Message 10 of 28
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Please download & install TeamViewer:https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows/ then open the Application and PM me the ID & password it shows you please. Then I can connect and take a look.
Message 11 of 28
Jreal
Aspirant

Yea the ping is crazy high. I’ve even tried calling my isp and they have sent multiple techs to my home and fixed everything they possibly could, but for sure it’s the router. Something is wrong with is. I’m going to try a modem swap and see if that works, but if it doesn’t then I mite get rid of it smh. I’m disappointed
Message 12 of 28
Xolhid
Apprentice

What modem do you have? I do know some modems have bad chipsets that cause lag spikes and bad gaming connections. I currently own an Arris SB8200 and it's a beast, but I do know a few of the older models along with some Netgear CM standalone modems have faulty chipsets. IMO, it's best to have a standalone modem that doesn't have wifi or need much internal configuration. The SB8200 is a Docsis 3.0/3.1 modem, so it is future proof for a long time.

Lastly since you did have techs come out, odds are they tested your home network connections and internal feed, zo that should be ok. The XR500 is a beast, but like all electronics, it isn't immune to a possible manufacturing defect. If this is the case, I would recommend trying again.
Message 13 of 28
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Jreal, it may be that you need to give the XR500 the MAC address of the previous router you were using. Some ISPs get weird when you start using a new device. Also I offered a 1 on 1 3 weeks ago, that offer still stands as I am very confident this is a settings issue.

I'd recommend looking at this: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/24212-getting-an-a-but-not-an-a-on-dslreports/ and also following the tours for both QoS & the Geo-Filter to get to grips with the recommended settings. They're available from the ? icons at the top of the interface next to the logos when on that page.
Message 14 of 28
Jreal
Aspirant

I have the netgear cm1000. It’s a stand alone modem only. The techs even checked the nodes outside my house and literally found nothing. So it’s one of the two. They even put new wires in smh. Do you know anything about the cm1000 modem?
Message 15 of 28
Jreal
Aspirant

Hi Fraser, yes I remember. We did a one on one, but it went back to acting all weird. Ping has been crazy and I have been lagging. The last router that I owned was the netduma R1. I have never lagged when I owned the R1. I am willing to do a 1 on 1 again. I really want this router to work. I have faith in it, but I am losing faith slowly
Message 16 of 28
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I am very happy to do a 1 on 1 again, just PM me when you're available to do so with your TeamViewer details and I will take a look.
Message 17 of 28
Jreal
Aspirant

Ok, I am downloading it now. I will PM you with details
Message 18 of 28
rogeranthony
Tutor

I have the same problems, higher ping than the old router. Switching to old router's MAC didn't help. resetting router/modem also didn't help. Adjusting things in QoS didn't help either. Tried each setting in anti-bufferbloat. changed bandwidth allocation. Fiddled with traffic prioritization, nothing. Ran the setup wizard twice. Can't seem to fix anything.

Message 19 of 28
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Roger, I assume this is a speed test ping done through a wired PC? What was the ping previously and what is it now?

Are ALL devices connected to the XR500?
Message 20 of 28
rogeranthony
Tutor

Everything is connected. There's two smart home devices, iDevices, Roku, ps4, and the PC. PC is wired (modem>router>PC, nothing in between). Everything is recognized as a computer apart from the iDevices and Playstation. Previous router was an old Apple Time Capsule that got a ping in the low 40s. The XR500 is in the low 50s, so 10ms isn't big, but obviously I expect it to perform at least as well as, if not better than, a 7-8 year old Apple Time Capsule. The first time I hooked the device up it didn't setup right thinking I had 1000 down and up and couldn't find a new firmware. Ran updates again and it corrected everything. Thanks for the response.

Message 21 of 28
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Based on the fact that theres not much difference I expect it's down to ISP congestion, potentially worsened by peak times. If you do a test in non peak times is it as you expect?
Message 22 of 28
rogeranthony
Tutor

The ping is consistent (morning, lunch, afternoon, night) and consistently higher. Meh, I'll just return the router by the end of the week if nothing changes, which I suspect it won't. Thanks for the time.

Message 23 of 28
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It could be a multitude of reasons, I'd recommend calling Netgears 24/7 support line and they should be able to resolve the issue very quickly: http://support.netgear.com/ login there and should give you a number to call
Message 24 of 28
rogeranthony
Tutor

Called the support. Friendly, helpful. Despite me using the firmware update in the app to update and then it telling me there was no update a few times, the firmware was out of date. It was on 2.1.0.4. Some sort of error when it updated out of the box. She went to the website and downloaded directly, manually updated to 2.1.0.6. That seemed to fix it. Then she told me to only update through the site when I receive an email of a firmware update and not the updater tab in the app. Now app says there's a new version 2.2.1.10. Seems odd, but whatevs, it works for now. Thanks.

Message 25 of 28
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7