× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Home Network Upgrade

duanenc
Aspirant

Home Network Upgrade

Currently I have the R7000 and I am getting alot of drops, sometimes 5g isn't even active. I have the latest firmware on the device. 

Network Topology - 

2 Xbox

Laptop (used to play online games/normal stuff also),

laptop (that typically does Netflix)

Smart TVs with Firestick, and another with Roku. 

Desktop is hardwired. 

Home sqft 2200 

Router is bottom floor family room beneath the 2 xbox and opposite of the other two laptops. Typically those which are wireless are all on the 5g network. 

I have tried QOS and that didn't really help. 

Problems on the 5g dropping signals alot, and not sure why. At first I checked the speed, I was thinking 100mbps wasn't enough for the things that were on the network, so I had Spectrum adjust to the max (400). On avg I can get 330 and above. 

I have checked with the ISP and they claim there has been no disconnects, i checked the router logs and nothing there either. There is a problem and I have no idea where it is. Nurmerous times has the 5g network prevented devices from joining even if other devices are on the network. 

What I am looking for is a direction. I have looked at XR700 or the XR570 with Mesh, I have even checked out RK50 mesh network. Based on what I have said, what are some recommendations, if I don't need to get a new router fine, but if I do, which direction. 

I have also considered running network cables to both XBOX to see if that makes a change, that may cost me considerably less, however I would rather not waste time if there is an expectation it won't change the outcome. 

I like Netgear products and kinda want to stay with them. I use the Nighthawk app. 

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: Home Network Upgrade

If you're using the latest R7000 firmware, that might be your issue right there. Its not known to be the most stable firmware. The agreed upon stable version is the .42 firmware. 

A couple things you can try first though.

1. What modem is it? do you have a screen shot of your modem connections? many isp will say "its not our equipment" as a first line when it potentially is. 

2. Have you tried a factory reset of the R7000? Some of the firmware upgrades responded very favorably to a factory reset and re-install from scratch. 

3. if that doesn't fix it, you can try downgrading the firmware to the .42 firmare. I'd recommend doing it over a hardwired connection and resetting it afterward for the best results. 

With streaming/gaming, if you have the potential to upgrade to hardwired connections for minimal cost, its worth it. I've hardwired in all my 4k devices, streamers, and gaming machines and it took quite a load off my network. Well worth it. 

Message 2 of 11
duanenc
Aspirant

So over the last year, i have changed Modems 3 times, and routers. I had an order router, one I used while I was in a different location, and modem ARIS 6183, now since I upgraded (using that term lightly).  This worked on the COX network and I had zero drops. Older router also. 

Spectrum network seems to have challenges, I had an SNR problem before this modem doesn't give me the option to see for myself,  I have to take the word of Spectrum. 

As for software, I have tried what you asked, and over the course of the year it hasn't changed. I am not sure where the problem is, but I am gathering the router. 

Modem is a spectrum issued modem, since it was free, I decided to try it.  However, the problem existed prior to the upgrade, and after the upgrade there is no changes to the drops. Understand the drops have been going on for a year, while I was trying to nail down the problem. 

Essentially I concluded i have 3 maybe 4 choices - 

1. Hard wire the 2 XBOXes and leave everything else the way it is.

2. Upgrade to XR500 or higher (mesh maybe with the XR570)

3. Go mesh 100%4

4. Leave it as is and deal with it (which is an option but not one that works)

Thoughts? 

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

Thoughts?

it seems like you've got more than a single issue. From what you've said, you've got issues with your ISP line coming into your home creating signal issues. And you've got issues with your 5g signal.

A router upgraded/change might be worth seeing if it helps with the 5ghz issue.  The R7000 (when it works) is a fairly decent router. But all devices go bad eventually. You could try some 3rd party firmware with it as I've heard good things about the R7000 with aftermarket firmware. Or it could truly be going bad and need a replacment.

Eitherway you've got a challenge with the poor isp signal and a sketch router. Any change might help. 

Message 4 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's hard to say exactly what the issue is. Initially I'd want to say try 'forgetting' the network on every device and then reconnecting by entering the password. Then I'd say it could be wireless congestion, do you have any close neighbours or WiFi signals in close proximity? Wireless devices (not just WiFi enabled) such as headphones, mobiles etc within 3 feet of the router may cause disruptions to the WiFi stability as well. Have you used a WiFi analyser to find the least congested network and change to that? If wireless congestion is an issue then ethernetting up the Xboxes should help with that. A router/mesh system with stronger WiFi would probably help but hard to say at this moment without ruling out other variables.
Message 5 of 11
duanenc
Aspirant

Just to clear up some information - 

Yes I had an SNR issue, that was cleared up. Do I still think the ISP sucks, yes, but the amount of routers/modems and speed changes/service changes I have done over the last year haven't changed anything, the router is still dropping signal.  

All the signs are pointing to a router which drops the 5g signal alot and then doesn't allow devices to reconnect, almost like a reboot of the 5g not the router.  

Great ideas, one person asked about an analyzer I will try this option, I did it before, but I wouldn't expect 5g to go that far. i don't think i have seen issues on the 2g, but most of the devices are on 5g. 

No one seemed to recommend a new router? However if I don't need to go that way, thats okay also, it seems as if you are pointing towards interference, not so much equipment lacking. 

There are several WIFI routers in my area, but the devices unable to reconnect and serve lag, or complete loss of signal have me concerned.

Message 6 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As you're in the Pro Gaming section I would be a bit biased and recommend an XR router, most likely the XR700 has it has very powerful WiFi and for the size of your home I think that would be optimal. I just wouldn't want to recommend you a product before you have tried other avenues with the existing router around WiFi interference etc.
Message 7 of 11
duanenc
Aspirant

I posted here because I have three people who game, and if the best route is to upgrade the router thats what I can do. I have thought either the XR700.

I am also trying to determine if the running cables is a short term fix for the problem. Probably about 50 to run cable to the two rooms, or 150 for a professional to do it. 

I am okay with options, I will advise. Bottomline, if in the future I will need to upgrade the router then doing it now isn't a bad idea, and have the cables pre run still is plausable. 

Thanks for the recommendations. 

Message 8 of 11
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

They also sell the XR500 with a mesh wifi extender thingy. This is a pretty good solution for a large home because you can spread the wifi further using a mesh network.

Message 9 of 11
moey08
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue with my R7000.  I have the latest firmware, and have re-set many times.  The 5G signal keeps dropping, many times throughout the day, the 2.4G does not.  I had to change every item in my house to the 2.4 to maintain a signal.  This is very annoying during these COVID times, trying to work from home with an inconsistent signal.  I've read that the only way to solve is through downloading an older firmware version.  I should not have to do this to get my router to work.  I have no baby monitors, no cordless house phones, etc. that would interupt the signal.  Please fix - very unreliable. Using firmware 1.0.10.90_10.2.90.. Doesn't look like this issue has been resolved yet.  Got in trouble for thread jumping, hopefully this is the proper thread for 5g dropping with the R7000.  Any solutions yet for solving this - I am not going to revert back to some firmware from 2 years ago.  Netgear just need to fix it - seems like this issue has been around for years now.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this here for your model router:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk

Good Luck.

@moey08 wrote:

I'm having the same issue with my R7000.  I have the latest firmware, and have re-set many times.  The 5G signal keeps dropping, many times throughout the day, the 2.4G does not.  I had to change every item in my house to the 2.4 to maintain a signal.  This is very annoying during these COVID times, trying to work from home with an inconsistent signal.  I've read that the only way to solve is through downloading an older firmware version.  I should not have to do this to get my router to work.  I have no baby monitors, no cordless house phones, etc. that would interupt the signal.  Please fix - very unreliable. Using firmware 1.0.10.90_10.2.90.. Doesn't look like this issue has been resolved yet.  Got in trouble for thread jumping, hopefully this is the proper thread for 5g dropping with the R7000.  Any solutions yet for solving this - I am not going to revert back to some firmware from 2 years ago.  Netgear just need to fix it - seems like this issue has been around for years now.

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7