× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How Do I Connect To My Modem

P111
Luminary

How Do I Connect To My Modem

One thing that puzzles me, I have a modem sat at 192.168.2.1 and the XR500 router at 192.168.1.1, but for some reason I can't connect to directly to the modem. If I plug the modem directly in to the PC I can connect to it from a browser. When the XR500 is connected to the modem everything works just fine, but surely I should still be able to connect to that modem via a browser?? I just wanted to check the modem settings, but I can't conenct to it unless I remove the XR500 and talk directly to the modem.

Message 1 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: How Do I Connect To My Modem

How do you usually access the modem interface, is it the IP address? If not can you access by using the IP address?
Message 2 of 10
P111
Luminary

With a browser and I type in 192.168.2.1

If I remove the Netgear that works just fine. With the Netgear inbetween the modem and the PC there is no response from the modem. I would have thought there should be.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you powered OF the modem and XR router both at the same time for 1 minute, then power ON the modem and let it connect. Then power ON the XR router and let it come to ready. Does the front Internet LED turn WHITE or AMBER? Try walking thru the setup wizard on the XR with a PC and browser. 

What Mfr and model# ISP modem do you have? 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

@P111 wrote:

With a browser and I type in 192.168.2.1

If I remove the Netgear that works just fine. With the Netgear inbetween the modem and the PC there is no response from the modem. I would have thought there should be.

Message 4 of 10
P111
Luminary

Hi there and thank you for the help.

The modem works perfectly, in that I am posting this now using it. It's a Draytek130. The XR500 has no problem with it all and it all works very well. Except for one strange thing ~ DumaOS can see the modem, it displays it in the device map, but I can not actually connect to the modem web page user interface. Normally it resides at 192.168.2.1 and all I have to do is put that IP in and I get the Draytek login screen. Unfortunately with the XR500 the connection just times out - there is no response. I guess at the end of the day it's not that important, but just is slightly odd!

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

AH, you having issues with the modems UI passing thru the XR. I don't see this with mine, however my modem uses 192.168.100.1. Not sure if your modems IP can be changed or not. Something to as the modems Mfr about and see if there is any additional information and help regarding this. Most modems IP and UI pass thru the XR with out issues. 

Message 6 of 10
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

That's a really unusual error. You should always be able to access the upstream router or modem.

If you connect directly to the modem, does 192.168.2.1 definitely work? I'm just wondering if it changed for any reason without you reaslising.

Also, if you go to System Information on DumaOS, what does it say the router's WAN IP? Is it on the 192.168.2.x subnet?

Message 7 of 10
P111
Luminary

Hello there!

Yes it definitely works. Just to make sure I removed the XR500 and tried again. It works just fine. The moment the XR500 is there, though, I get no response.

It shows the modem on the device map but other than that gives no information about it at all. The IP listed in System Information is just the my current dynamic WAN IP address.

Message 8 of 10
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Do you have a spare router you can connect to your modem? Would be interesting to see if you get a different result or if it also cannot detect the modem. That would help isolate where the problem is likely to be.

Message 9 of 10
P111
Luminary

I might! I bought the XR500 to replace a Draytek 2860, which is a great device, but the interface is just too unfriendly for me. Although it has a built in modem it also has a second WAN port that I think should work. In a few days I am about to change some long cables for short cables, which gives me the chance to try the old router. I will get back to you in a few days.

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7