× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How To Set Priority For Unrecognised Games?

P111
Luminary

How To Set Priority For Unrecognised Games?

Am I correct in saying that a game should show as "High Priority Traffice Detected" on this picture?

What do you do if it doesn't? I guess it needs to be setup manually, but how do you do that? I mean the information it needs doesn't seem to be available.

Capture.JPG

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9
P111
Luminary

Sorry this is in two posts I seemed to have issue with formatting! But it doesnt actually seem to be prioritising anything despite priorities being set on the pc.

Message 2 of 9
P111
Luminary

Anyone? There is an advanced option so there must be a way!

Message 3 of 9
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Traffic Prioritization automatically detects all console traffic, and most popular PC games. If you're not seeing it being detected, then you can manually add the ports the game rules. Click Add Device in the bottom left panel, then choose advanced. You can then give the ports from the game (Google these if you are not sure what they are).

See the final section of this guide if you get stuck: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000077073-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-qos-...

Message 4 of 9
P111
Luminary

Thank you for your reply, but that article doesn't actually explain port forwarding.

It calmly states to enter the manual configuration but to a noob like me the one question I have is how?

I mean for example I have been told that for one game I need to open port 10001. But the configuration talks in terms of configuing the source and destination port. What? I mean not a single game I have mentions that information. They just give one port.

I mean this is the entire point of the XR500 to me. It's supposed to make things easy and the one key area - port forwarding, it just doesn't explain at all!

Also attempting to enter anything actually crashes.

Message 5 of 9
P111
Luminary

Sorr for splitting my last pos in two...

The error it gives is...

Error: RPC error 'ERROR_UNKNOWN': bad argument #1 to 'len' (string expected, got nil) -> stack traceback: ?: in function <?:73> [C]: in function 'len' ?: in function '?' ?: in function 'decode' ?: in function <?:50> (tail call): ? ?: in function <?:324> [C]: in function 'xpcall' ?: in function 'try' ?: in function <?:290> [C]: in function 'run' ?: in function <?:345> [C]: in function 'xpcall' ?: in function 'try' ?: in function <?:261> (tail call): ? /dumaos/api/cli.lua:48: in function </dumaos/api/cli.lua:30> [C]: in function 'xpcall' /dumaos/api/cli.lua:59: in main chunk [C]: ?

I mean this is supposed to be a gaming router, and port forwarding is not explained and crashes? SERIUOUSLY? I am just getting progressively angry with this right now. It was a lot of extra money for what seems to amount to sales hype.

Message 6 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

This is not port forwarding, that is something entirely different in settings. The guide only mentions changing the destination fields. You do not need to change the source field. If you need 10001 then as the guide says just enter that in both the start and end fields for destination. Also every feature has a ? icon on it's panel to help you understand the feature. Next version will have the fix for that in. If you need to add a manual rule then would advise downgrading for now.
Message 7 of 9
P111
Luminary

Well, its not something completely different becuase it's in the section "Traffic Prioritization".

Under traffic Prioritization Selector Advanced it asks for port information which is give by game producers as forwarding?.

But what do you even mean by start and end fields for destination?? There are no start and end fields. Just one number.

I mean this is what I MEAN by not explained. This was sold as a gaming router, but the entire attraction is we don't need all this rubbish. The "most PC games" is in fact a list of 14 if you exclude the 15th which is Skype. Seriously? 14?

What do you mean downgrade? You mean I should send it back?

Right now I am extremely frustrated with this. The reason I bought this router was becuase I didn't want to get involved in all this port stuff. I thought it would have a far better list of recognised games than this. I mean how do I even find out which ports to use? Often new games it doesn't even list them!

Message 8 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Port Forwarding opens ports that is required for the game to connect to the online services.
Traffic Prioritization is not required for anything. It is a feature created by us to prioritize those ports above everything else in your home so you get the best connection possible.

Under Traffic Prioritization in the advanced section it's split into Source and Destination with a start and end field under each. This is mentioned in the guide.

DumaOS Classified Games prioritizes all consoles as well as popular PC games. The manual list are extras source engine and unreal engine combined are a lot of games. Advanced is for anything else.

I mean downgrade to previous router firmware.
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7