× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How can I get netgear, to deregister an original owner, so that I may take his place?

juleeanne
Tutor

How can I get netgear, to deregister an original owner, so that I may take his place?

You see, I bought a store return. From amazon. It was practically new - but a much more reasonable 423 (after taxes) , instead of 539 for a brand new one. I had no idea, that the original buyer had also registered it to himself, before deciding not to keep it. He’s been non responsive in all attempts to get him to deregister the product, or at least tell me the password configuration that he used. So, amazon,( being so helpful), made a 3 way call on my behalf- (I was the third caller), to netgear, to seek a solution. The amazon agent told netgear that I had indeed, purchased it from amazon. Then asked if they would reset the original owner , to reflect as myself. The netgear agent didn’t care WHO was asking, she needed me to email my proof of purchase in to them- Understandable! Of course. ! That wasn’t at all a problem!
So, Sunday night, that’s what I did-I sent in my proof of purchase with a letter explaining who I was and why I was sending it- along with my serial number. . She had said on the phone, that it would be about 24 hours before I could assume it had been done. - AND, that I could call them back at that time, to finish troubleshooting my other problems
(which I haven’t even gotten to here!!!- but I don’t know if it’s even a real problem ; or if the network that the original owner put on there , is just not broadcasting. I mean, I can’t SEE it anywhere in the network list. I don’t even know if he DID set to the network (that I can’t see), because when I tried to hard reset it- I STILL couldn’t see it. And I did a 30-30- 30 reset, three separate times; as well as, having my son do it as well, twice.! The darn thing is unreset~able!
I’ve never had so many issues

and I don’t even have the thing hooked up yet.

But I have checked to see if I could register thus products serial number to my account, and I cannot. So literally, netgear has ignited the phone call - ignored the emails- and Im at the end of my wits.
I mean....
They ignored a customer email?! Who does that!?!

Any thoughts? I mean , my main goal here, is hoping that one person that made an earlier post, saying that the were trying to dereguster a product from their account, and they had a reply from someone that asked for the poster’s info, to be sent via PM, and they would ‘look into it’, for them.
If someone could do that here? For my case- Omgoodness - that’s all I need: just one person to look at this, that can actually do something. I have my receipt and serial number, and I am ready to go...,

Thanks.
Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Re: How can I get netgear, to deregister an original owner, so that I may take his place?

I can't help you with deregistering the product, somebody from NETGEAR will need to help you with that, but I can suggest that you try to connect via ethernet and go to routerlogin.net

Of course if the router has really not been reset for some reason, the original owner might have changed the default GUI access password.

It's very confusing that the factory reset using the button on the back wouldn't work.

I assume you're following the instructions here? https://kb.netgear.com/000053098/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-router

Message 2 of 6
juleeanne
Tutor

Re: How can I get netgear, to deregister an original owner, so that I may take his place?

I assume you're following the instructions here? https://kb.netgear.com/000053098/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-router

yes... thankyou for helping. I did do that method, several times actually. Then I went for broke and tried the 30-30-30 method. Neither worked 😞 

i had the ethernet cable in, for every single attemot described. I was unable to access the routerlogin.net page. I think this guy was super-security oriented. Nothing wrong with that. Its just not helping my super picky box either.. I mean, that reset button IS insane, i know.....but what can i do but ignore the strange crap, & roll with it, when im on a mission to continue to have hope......

Message 3 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Here is what I suggest, as you can't factory reset for some reason and unable to get the login details this is the best option. Follow this guide, basically it will allow you to upgrade the firmware before the router boots up fully. Hopefully this will then prompt the setup wizard to start so you can bypass it. It's 50/50 as it's not technically a factory reset https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client
Message 4 of 6
juleeanne
Tutor

My patience has paid off@! Slightly, anyway. 

I received the following email from netgear:

Hi __________, 

Thank you for contacting our Customer Support Center. We would like to inform you a new Case has been created and assigned it to our support team. An expert will review your query and respond to you as soon as possible.

Your Case Details are- 
Case Number - xxxxxxxxx
Summary - Proof of Purchase Validation
Case Created on - 7/30/2019

———————————————————————

then, I received this email, shortly after the first: 

Hi ,

Your case has been updated.

Case #: xxxxxxxxxx
Case Summary: Proof of Purchase Validation 
Product:

Update from NETGEAR
Dear ___________,

My name is _____ one of the Customer Care Advocates of NETGEAR Inc. Thank you for providing your proof of purchase. I have successfully registered your NETGEAR product.

Below please find the warranty details of your product.

Purchase date: 7/17/2019
Hardware Warranty end date: 7/16/2020
Telephone Support end date: 10/15/2019

For more warranty details please click on the following link:

http://www.netgear.com/about/warranty/?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Additional support information can als...

https://www.netgear.com/support/?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

If you are still in need of assistance with ...

So now, I ‘offically’, can seek support and warranty options, should I need them, from netgear.   Im preparing to call tomorrow (business hours), just to be sure that all departments I’ll be forwarded to, are actually staffed, and open for business

(you never know- I’ve run into so many 24hr phone service companies, that don’t have 24 phone services for a few of their departments)

In the meantime, I’ll be looking at the article/link, sent by Netduma-Fraser (thank you, btw!). 

Ill keep updating, for public.  As, I hate it when you search for help with something, then find someone that has exactly what you have, but they never updated, so you can’t tell which applied workthrough, actually helped (or didn’t). 

Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great to hear that and thanks for the update, glad you managed to get it registered. Do let us know what happens!
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7