× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How do I change my 5ghz bandwidth to only be on 40mhz?

Coldimor
Aspirant

How do I change my 5ghz bandwidth to only be on 40mhz?

I was changing some wifi settings yesterday and did a wifi analyics test from the microsoft store it was saying my 5ghz was at 20mhz bandwidth... I was trying to change channels to one that supported 40mhz but the options are not showing up.

Does anyone know why this would be happening? Basically when I go to select a channel for the 5ghz network none of the 40mhz supported channels are available.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this here for your model router:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk

Good Luck.

@Coldimor wrote:

I was changing some wifi settings yesterday and did a wifi analyics test from the microsoft store it was saying my 5ghz was at 20mhz bandwidth... I was trying to change channels to one that supported 40mhz but the options are not showing up.

Does anyone know why this would be happening? Basically when I go to select a channel for the 5ghz network none of the 40mhz supported channels are available.

Message 2 of 7
Coldimor
Aspirant

I tried that only weird thing is that option is only for 2.4ghz the 5ghz that was not an option for.

I also tried using smart connect and turning off what you suggested and that wasn’t working for me either.

It’s weird I am only seeing 20mhz channels for 5ghz.
Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

There isn't an option for 5Ghz. It's automatic. 

Be sure your 5Ghz devices support 40 or 80Mhz channel width as well. 

Has a reset and setup from scratch been performed?

What devices do you have that your connecting to the router? 

Message 4 of 7
Coldimor
Aspirant

I did a factory reset yesterday when I couldn't get it working but that didn't help. I have 5 devices on 2.4ghz.

The only device connected to the 5ghz is my computer which uses the following...

TP-LINK Archer T9E AC1900 Dual Band Wireless PCI Express Adapter

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this here for your model router:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk

Good Luck. 

@Coldimor wrote:

I did a factory reset yesterday when I couldn't get it working but that didn't help. I have 5 devices on 2.4ghz.

The only device connected to the 5ghz is my computer which uses the following...

TP-LINK Archer T9E AC1900 Dual Band Wireless PCI Express Adapter

Message 6 of 7
quetown
Aspirant

It isnt the devices that need to support it, it is that netgear does not allow us to change the channel width. I dont need 80 on 5ghz, just as I dont need 40 on 2.4ghz

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7