× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I communicate with my modem?

P111
Luminary

How do I communicate with my modem?

I have a modem on the other side of my XR1000. The XR1000 replaced an old Asus router, which allowed me to talk right through it to the modem. Think is the XR does not. It was a really handy feature to have! Can anyone tell me how to talk through the XR? I need to change a few settings for the XR1000 in the modem itself.

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: How do I communicate with my modem?

what modem do you have? 

Message 2 of 9
P111
Luminary

Its a Draytek 130. The modem is 192.168.2.1 and the router is 192.168.1.1

As I said before, with my old Asus router this worked.

I seem to remember I had a different Netgear router years ago and that, too, failed to pass on messages to the modem.

Message 3 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Change the modem LAN IP to 192.168.1.1 and the XR to 192.168.2.1 then reboot each, then see if you can communicate with the modem from the XR.
Message 4 of 9
P111
Luminary

Hello and thank you for the suggestion.

Alas not, same result as before - nothing. I am wondering if this needs ports or something?

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

you're on a different subnet.

Try reading this thread a bit. I haven't ever needed to modify mine so I can't test it with my current setup because I'm on cable. But this is for using the same vigor modem 

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/how-to-access-wan-modem-from-lan-with-different-subnet-mask.29468/

Message 6 of 9
P111
Luminary

I also note that the upnp configuration does not work. If I set it to enabled, it doesn't stay that way.

Message 7 of 9
P111
Luminary

I checked out the subnet mask and it is correct. I have no idea why I can not commicate with the modem.

Message 8 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you put the Draytek in bridge mode or anything like that or is it still acting like a router? The UPnP checkbox is currently bugged but is enabled by default so youcan ignore that if it appears otherwise.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7