× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to Change DHCP Lease Time - Nighthawk XR500

BPowell
Tutor

How to Change DHCP Lease Time - Nighthawk XR500

Is there a way I can change the XR500 DHCP lease renewal time to be something longer than 1 or 8 hours? It's really inconvient when I'm trying to play competitive multiplayer games to have the connection drop in the middle of a long session and I lose my progress (and more importantly, my time).

I have the most recent firmware for the XR500 (v2.3.2.56).

I don't understand why this isn't able to be changed or even why it isn't set to some statistically low usage time (i.e. early AM).

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 12
BPowell
Tutor

As an update:

Setting a static IP address outside of the DHCP range on the game console does not fix this issue. When the DHCP lease was renewed it broke the connection.

For playing a game like Gran Tourismo Sport, this means the multiplayer session immediately ends and the game becomes unresponsive (having to force close the game to continue playing it).

This is the result of the stupidly short 8 hour DHCP lease time. An ethernet LAN connection should be about a week lease. Wifi is the only part that makes sense to have a short lease time, but I don't even have enough devices to use up 253 (by default) IP addresses.

Message 2 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

And if you set an IP address reservation for your device with in the IP address pool? 

What happens if you downgrade FW versions?

Firmware Version 2.3.2.40 or
Firmware Version 2.3.2.32

Message 3 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you don't have many devices and it's not too much hassle try disabling DHCP altogether and assigning IPs. You may need to do this on the devices themselves to get a connection.
Message 4 of 12
BPowell
Tutor

@Netduma-Fraser Unless I'm missing something, I cannot assign a static IP to my HP Envy 5500 wireless printer. Are you suggesting that I just disable DHCP and then reserve the IP address in the router for that device/MAC Address?

Message 5 of 12
BPowell
Tutor

@FURRYe38 Reserving the IP address within the DHCP pool doesn't fix the problem either. I had done that before I set the static IP for the playstation outside of the DHCP range. In most cases, the DHCP lease renew would just cause a minor lag spike. This is not a major issue for most games, but in the case of the game I'm trying to play it seems that as soon as there is any interruption the multiplayer connection is dropped.

Maybe it's unrelated (and a tangent), but I've had connectivity issues with this router since I bought it in May 2018. Then it was my Galaxy S7 would connect to the WiFi, but have no internet access. The solution I figured out to that was assign a reserved IP address in the router and configuring a static IP on my cell phone. This isn't an issue on the S10 however. Since then, I've just been assigning reserved IP addresses in the DHCP range until recently when I tried to do static outside the range to resolve an issue with the Playstation 4, but I can match up the connection drop with the DHCP lease renewal on the router.

Maybe what @Netduma-Fraser suggested may be the better route in that I just turn off the DHCP server function and reserve the IP addresses where static isn't possible (or I cannot figure it out).

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you downgrade FW versions?

Firmware Version 2.3.2.40 or
Firmware Version 2.3.2.32 or even very first version of FW? 

@BPowell wrote:

@FURRYe38 Reserving the IP address within the DHCP pool doesn't fix the problem either. I had done that before I set the static IP for the playstation outside of the DHCP range. In most cases, the DHCP lease renew would just cause a minor lag spike. This is not a major issue for most games, but in the case of the game I'm trying to play it seems that as soon as there is any interruption the multiplayer connection is dropped.

Maybe it's unrelated (and a tangent), but I've had connectivity issues with this router since I bought it in May 2018. Then it was my Galaxy S7 would connect to the WiFi, but have no internet access. The solution I figured out to that was assign a reserved IP address in the router and configuring a static IP on my cell phone. This isn't an issue on the S10 however. Since then, I've just been assigning reserved IP addresses in the DHCP range until recently when I tried to do static outside the range to resolve an issue with the Playstation 4, but I can match up the connection drop with the DHCP lease renewal on the router.

Maybe what @Netduma-Fraser suggested may be the better route in that I just turn off the DHCP server function and reserve the IP addresses where static isn't possible (or I cannot figure it out).

Message 7 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes that was what I was suggesting. In that case set the reserved IPs first and then disable DHCP so everything sustains a connection.
Message 8 of 12
BPowell
Tutor

@Netduma-Fraser 

I was able to figure out how to assign a static IP for the printer. Didn't realize the printer had a web menu if you typed in the IP address.

So I turned off the DHCP server setting, assigned static IPs to all devices, and power cycled the router. I did some testing with the Playstation 4 on the home screen. If I go to Settings > Monitoring > Connection Status and click "Renew" I get the LAN cable disconnected message after about a 1-2 minute wait.

I guess there isn't a way around this other than just planning my gaming around the lease time. I'll sign up for the beta and see if that helps any.

Message 9 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The DHCP that you renewed there was the IP given to the router itself not the devices so you should be okay with what you've done if it's to do with the LAN DHCP lease.
Message 10 of 12
MR_Cummings
Aspirant

I've been having this issue as well. You'll be somewhat relieved for me to inform you that its not the router lease time affecting you. In fact, your router is not the root cause if your dropped connections.

If your connection is dropping for a couple seconds or less than a minute or so, then whats really happening is you ISP communication is having difficulty transmitting the signal to you. You're pretty much right on the threshold of a reachable signal. Although you may be on the threshold, a typical transmit level tends to fluctuate up and down due to one or many different factors... traffic utilization in your area could be one issue, or even the time of day when it gets hot or cold as the center conductor expands and retracts within the coax cable that your ISP is being transmitted from, assumes that you're not on fiber. Google T3-T4 timeout, you'll see a lot of your issues relate to these terms, which indicates that your ISP transit levels are too low and you need to call them out to your house and get crackin. Make sure you mention T3 and T4 timeouts, they'll know what it means.
Message 11 of 12
MR_Cummings
Aspirant

I forgot to clarify somethin.. so your lease change logs show up because of your lost connections. Everytime you lose connection, your router is forced to obtain a new lease again because it cannot see the old lease anymore. I hope that clears everything up
Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7