× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to Use it

Profaniter
Tutor

How to Use it

So I have some questions. Before buying the router, I'd like to hear some experienced inputs from you guys. 

1. When connecting console (for my case, PS4 Pro) to the Pro Gaming router XR500, after configurating with the software, do I have to leave the laptop on from now on while using it or I could just put my laptop to sleep and the router will do its job? I'm a bit confused on this part. 

2. I have Netgear Orbi (RBK50), for those of you who also have Orbi, what do you suggest I should do? 

Thank you! 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How to Use it

You don't have to leave any PC or laptop on while managing the router. ONce your done you can log out of the routers web page. You can leave the laptop ON or off. Up to you. 

You can use the Orbi in AP mode connected to the XR router. Disable the XR routers wifi radios and use the Orbi as your wifi mesh system. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

@Profaniter wrote:

So I have some questions. Before buying the router, I'd like to hear some experienced inputs from you guys. 

1. When connecting console (for my case, PS4 Pro) to the Pro Gaming router XR500, after configurating with the software, do I have to leave the laptop on from now on while using it or I could just put my laptop to sleep and the router will do its job? I'm a bit confused on this part. 

2. I have Netgear Orbi (RBK50), for those of you who also have Orbi, what do you suggest I should do? 

Thank you! 

Message 2 of 8
Profaniter
Tutor

For answer #1, thank you! I'll keep that in mind! 

for #2, so would this mean I could still be able to use Wifi while setting it in AP mode? I was thinking of turning off Wifi on the XR500, but leave Wifi on Orbi, so you're suggesting I should set it in AP Mode then? 

Message 3 of 8
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

You could leave the orbi in it's usual mode and just put the orbi's IP address into the DMZ of the XR500, then turn off the wi-fi on the XR500... Maybe that's wrong? Let me know @FURRYe38 

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, you can use the ORbi in AP mode and configure the WiFi normally. If you use the Orbi in AP mode, you don't need to use the DMZ on the XR router. 

@Profaniter wrote:

for #2, so would this mean I could still be able to use Wifi while setting it in AP mode? I was thinking of turning off Wifi on the XR500, but leave Wifi on Orbi, so you're suggesting I should set it in AP Mode then? 

Message 5 of 8
Profaniter
Tutor

curious, wouldn't the QoS on Xr500 affect Orbi though? 
@FURRYe38 wrote:

Yes, you can use the ORbi in AP mode and configure the WiFi normally. If you use the Orbi in AP mode, you don't need to use the DMZ on the XR router. 

@Profaniter wrote:

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Only for those devices that QoS was managing. Same would be if you had the radios enabled on the XR and not using the Orbi. Your just exhanging the wifi radios on the XR for the Radios on the Orbi is all. 

Message 7 of 8
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Would the mesh continue working in that situation? I was considering turning my google wifi into an access point but apparantly that removes all mesh functionality from them, according to google anyway.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7