× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to disable QoS

Sandwich
Tutor

How to disable QoS

How do I disable the QoS function on this equipment? I cant find the option to disable it. It seems to have been more trouble than its worth. I keep getting random ping spikes and packet loss in 2 different games wired in and my brother is experiencing issues with Fortnite packet loss and random stops.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 15
Sandwich
Tutor

Nevermind, figured it out. Thank you.
Message 2 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would not advise disabling QoS, that will make it worse. I would suggest you follow this guide while saturating your connection and trying different Anti-Bufferbloat percentages to see what minimises the spikes/ping the most: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-diagnose-modem-internet-service...
Message 3 of 15
Sandwich
Tutor

Ok! I'll do some troubleshooting with it when I get home. 

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Message 5 of 15
Sandwich
Tutor

I actually have a Netgear CM1000. My ISP only supports a limited number of modems and this was the only Netgear wired only modem that was available. I work for my ISP and everything looks good signal wise up to the modem and i'm only seeing two time outs that haven't been recent.

Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok just checking for a router at the modem. 

Any other traffic happening while gaming? Something else going on besides gaming? 

Disconnect ALL other devices or turn them off to see if the spikes still happen...

Message 7 of 15
Sandwich
Tutor

Ok i'll give that a shot when I get home after work tonight.  We just had a ton of devices on the network and the QoS appeared to have been keeping them in check but I'm not quite sure I had the anti buffer float set up right. I tried turning it off and things just seem to have gotten worse. I do twitch streaming so i'm really hoping I can find a happy medium for all these settings. My PC is wired in when I get packet loss on certain games with a cat6 cable and my brother that plays Fortnite started experiencing similar issues. 

Message 8 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yeah QoS off is a bad idea, if you follow that guide to optimise Anti-Bufferbloat you should be good. Take a look at this also to try the other QoS settings: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000077073-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-q...
Message 9 of 15
Sandwich
Tutor

We had a ton of people visiting due to an event we held at home this weekend but a large majority of those people are gone. I'll go through and take them completely off the network if I need to though.

Message 10 of 15
Sandwich
Tutor

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Yeah QoS off is a bad idea, if you follow that guide to optimise Anti-Bufferbloat you should be good. Take a look at this also to try the other QoS settings: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000077073-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-q...Elder Scrolls Online.PNGTracerouteOverwatch.PNG
Message 11 of 15
Sandwich
Tutor

Ran those from the IPs given for The Elder Scrolls online which is the top result, and I couldn't use the program for that IP. It resulted in all packets lost. For the second picture I tested the central server for Overwatch since there's no east server apparently. I don't get any lag spikes on ESO but in OW they are random. Thoughts on these results? Bufferfloat is at 70% for both when I ran those tests. 

Message 12 of 15
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Did you try lowering the sliders in Anti-Bufferbloat by about 10% each time until the graph in PingPlotter stabilizes?

Message 13 of 15
Sandwich
Tutor

I have already neutered my connection by 30%. I'm not really willing go any further than that. QoS has only really served to neuter everything else that was running in my house. I found I didn't fully disable QoS and I am testing that route further. My ping test from last night was more solid than the QoS one after experimenting with 90-80-and finally 70% reduction

Message 14 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

PingPlotter with game servers isn't a good idea as they can fluctuate largely, it's much better to use a big website close to you or something like google which is more stable. Looking at Anti-Bufferbloat as neutering your connection isn't a good approach as Anti-Bufferbloat exists to ensure that all devices on the network can do whatever they like without impacting each other. It may seem counter intuitive that it lowers the speed to do this but it works. You're only really going to need your max speeds if you want a big download to go faster. Are ALL devices in the home connected to the router? Are you using IPv6, PPPoE or VLAN?
Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7