× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to test if Hybrid VPN is working for "Only VPN these Services"

Godrik
Aspirant

How to test if Hybrid VPN is working for "Only VPN these Services"

I was able to successfully set up my VPN Provider under Hybrid VPN on my XR700.

I only want to use the VPN for torrents. I was able to add my PC under the "VPN Traffic" tab, and I selected "Only VPN these Services". I added the port used by the uTorrent app.

I was able to succesfully test that the VPN is not being applied by default.

How do I know for sure that my torrent activity is being correctly routed through the VPN? Is there any way to test this?

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Re: How to test if Hybrid VPN is working for "Only VPN these Services"

Sniffing for suspect traffic on the WAN side of the router on the ports/protocol your torrent software is active on.

Message 2 of 6
Godrik
Aspirant

What is "sniffing" and how do I do it? What does WAN side mean?

Message 3 of 6
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

How did you figure out which ports your torrents are using?

You can usually set which ports you want your torrent software to use from within the software itself, so check inside the software that the selected port matches what you put in your VPN.

Message 4 of 6
Godrik
Aspirant

Yes, I went into the uTorrent app settings and took note of the ports it uses.

From that point of view it should be properly routing my torrent traffic via the VPN (and I'm sure I have the VPN properly configured from within the Duma OS).

I was just wondering how I might be able to test and verify that that is indeed what is happening.

Message 5 of 6
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

One easy way to find out:

Routing traffic through VPN usually introduces a bandwidth cap which is lower than your connection's maximum. Are your torrents going slower than they would be if they weren't on VPN? Maybe compare the speeds with the VPN rule activated and deactivated? If the speeds change when you change the rules, it shows that they're having an effect.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7