× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to use the XR500 as a second router? How do I avoid double NAT?

How to use the XR500 as a second router? How do I avoid double NAT?

Hey folks,

I've looked all over and not been able to find a solution yet...

A little bit background:

My ISP has installed a modem/router (D-Link DIR-825) on the ground floor of my house where the internet is set up. I recently purchased a Netgear Nighthawk XR500 Pro Gaming Router and set it up upstairs and connected it via ethernet cable to the modem downstairs. Everything works fine, except I get Double NAT issues on Xbox and I'm sure this also effects the performance of other devices.

After doing some research, I was able to find out that I need to put my first modem/router into "Bridge Mode". However, the first modem/router does not support "Bridge Mode". I've heard of solutions related to DMZ, Port Forwarding, and disabling DHCP servers as well.

My current configuration:

I have made a diagram of my current setup. The diagram can be accessed using the following link:

https://imgur.com/a/PtYd7n1

I have also attached the diagram to this post.

Please help with some of the doubts and questions I have:

1. What is the best way to prevent double NAT? I do not want to put the XR500 into AP Mode since it loses ALL functionality of the router.
  2. My modem/router does not support Bridge Mode. Should I buy a different modem/router as the first router? If yes, which router is the best to work in conjunction with the XR500?
  3. Can I configure DMZ to prevent double NAT? And is this a good way to fix the issue?
  4. Can I fix the issue using Port Forwarding?
  5. Can I fix the issue by disabling DHCP server on the first router?

Thank you so much guys! I really appreciate all the help i can get.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

I think the DMZ method is the most likely to work here, without having to buy new hardware, here's what to do:

• On your XR500, go to the System Information page and make a note of the WAN IP.
  • On the modem/router upstream, set the XR500's IP as static/reserved so that it won't change.
  • On the modem/router upstream, put the WAN IP from the first step into the DMZ, so that the XR500 bypasses the firewall.
  • See if the double NAT is fixed.

If the double NAT isn't fixed, you could try port forwarding all ports (1 to 65535, TCP and UDP) to the WAN IP from the first step, on the modem/router upstream.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11

All Replies
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

I think the DMZ method is the most likely to work here, without having to buy new hardware, here's what to do:

• On your XR500, go to the System Information page and make a note of the WAN IP.
  • On the modem/router upstream, set the XR500's IP as static/reserved so that it won't change.
  • On the modem/router upstream, put the WAN IP from the first step into the DMZ, so that the XR500 bypasses the firewall.
  • See if the double NAT is fixed.

If the double NAT isn't fixed, you could try port forwarding all ports (1 to 65535, TCP and UDP) to the WAN IP from the first step, on the modem/router upstream.

Message 2 of 11

Hi Alex,

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I should be home in an hour and I'll check as soon as I reach home and let you know if it worked 🙂
Is this is a standard practice used to fix this issue? And will it affect speeds or connectivity in any way?

Thanks again

Message 3 of 11
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Routers are designed to only have a modem above them in the network, so having another router above them can occasionally cause confusion. The double NAT occurs because there are two layers of Network Address Translation happening, one from the modem and one from the router. A standalone modem will pass everything on to the router by default, but a router will have a firewall and various limitations designed to protect client devices. When that client device is another router, you need to manually bypass those restrictions so that there is only one effective layer of Network Address Translation.

So basically, yes, this is a standard method to fix a double NAT caused by using two routers. Putting the XR500 into the DMZ is not dangerous because the XR500 has it's own firewall which will take over from the other router.

It's worth bearing in mind that you should connect all devices in the house to the XR500 if you want QoS to be effective, because the XR500 can only take into account devices which are underneath it. Devices connected to the upstream router will not be detected by the XR500.

Message 4 of 11

Hi Alex,

I followed all the steps mentioned by you using the DMZ method and it is working perfectly now! NAT on my Xbox is Open and there is no more Double NAT.

Thank you so much, buddy! Really appreciate you taking the time out to help me with this. I was really worried and felt like I reached a dead-end. I'm so glad you were able to help me with a solution that didn't involve me buying new hardware. Keep up the super amazing work 🙂

Hope you have a wonderful day!

Message 5 of 11

Hey Alex,

Sorry to bother you again but the solution only worked temporarily. I configured the DMZ settings as suggested and the Double NAT went away for a few hours. Sadly, it came back a little later and now it requires me to restart my Xbox One in order to get rid of the Double NAT every time.

I tried the second suggestion which was to port-forward all ports to WAN IP, the modem/router upstream but my modem/router may not support port forwarding. After a lot of digging around, I still could not find the port forwarding options.

Am I doing something wrong or is everything set correctly?

If this is the case, I do not mind purchasing another modem/router to function simply as a bridge. If I am purchasing a new modem/router to function as a bridge, which Netgear model do you suggest will work best with the XR500? Also which Netgear Modem/Routers support Bridge mode?

In India, these are some of the models available:

1. Netgear R6400-100INS AC1750 Dual Band Smart Wi-Fi Router
  2. Netgear R6260 AC1600 Smart WiFi Router (Black)
  3. Netgear R6120-100INS AC1200 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Router

There are more models available but these are what I found first on amazon. Which do you suggest I purchase? And do all of these support Bridge Mode?

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

The main host router should be removed and use the XR router in place of the main host router. 

DMZ works as well. If your still getting NAT issues the mostly those are xbox configuration issues. I've used DMZ before and with out NAT issues. 

Disable Instant ON on the xbox as well. 

Message 7 of 11
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

The next thing i'd try is to forward the Xbox Live ports to the console on the XR500...

As a test: find the Xbox One's IP, in the DumaOS interface LAN Settings put the Xbox One's IP into DMZ. See if this fixes it.

Message 8 of 11

Hi @FURRYe38,

Thanks for replying! This seemed to have worked for now. I changed the Startup mode on the Xbox One to "Energy Saver" instead of "Instant On". And I've not faced any issues so far. I will keep testing to compeltely verify if the issue is permanently resolved.

@Netduma_Alex Your solution was perfect, I think it was just some issue with the Xbox One Settings which is ridiculous to even think about. Thank you so much again and sorry for bothering you. I really appreciate it, buddy!

Thanks everyone.

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 11

Hello @Netduma_Alex and @FURRYe38! Thank you so much for all the help. After extensive testing, I can finally say that my problems have been resolved. I really appreciate all the help I've received from the community.

It feels amazing to be a part of the Netgear family!!

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7