× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Hybrid VPN Setup Guide

RaleighEd
Aspirant

Hybrid VPN Setup

Would like to set up the hybrid VPN with NordVPN. I have the OpenVPN file which I copied, as instructed, but my status is "disconnected".

I'm running on an iMac with the current MacOS.

Thanks

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 43
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Re: Hybrid VPN Setup

Could you paste your config file and your VPN log into this thread and we'll help you get this working. Thanks.

Message 2 of 43
RaleighEd
Aspirant

Since posting last night, I was able to get the status to "connected", but checking for leaks shows that my connection still isn't secure.

Message 3 of 43
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Do you mean DNS leaks? This is a known issue if so, it will be fixed in the next firmware.

Message 4 of 43
Bonkeydave
Aspirant

I have my vpn set up correctly using hidemyass and works great. However I want the vpn not to be used when using Netflix. If I click on add service and then advanced does anyone have any ideas what to add or how to add a custom service with Netflix details please.

thanks dave63DAA648-1D09-40E0-A131-C133D91FC440.png

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 5 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Dave, I believe you've made a post on the Netduma forum where I have already replied to you. In summary, whatever you want to VPN it may be easier for you to just apply the VPN to that and it would exclude everything else. Also Netflix will likely use the standard internet ports (80 & 443)
Message 6 of 43
Shikwan68
Star

Just installed the latest FW and am now using the Hybrid VPN with NordVPN. A few questions;

1.  This should be configured with the nearest VPN server for the best connection/latency correct? The games I play will auto connect me to servers based on my VPN connect and not my real connect.

2. So If I use a VPN server outside of my Geo-Filter radius then I will have to reconfigure the radius, based on the location of the VPN server I connect to, right?

3. Hybrid VPN feature is something that I shouldn't use except if I'm experiencing DDoS attacks frequently since the connection increases latency and VPN servers tend to be slow?

4. Lastly, I connect to Xbox Live from behind a business firewall and I noticed thatmy NAT Type is now strict when I use the Hybrid VPN. It says; 'Double NAT detected'.  So far it doesn't seem to affect my gaming...Should I put the Xbox on the DMZ to resolve this?

Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 7 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

1. Yes I'd recommend you select the nearest VPN server to your actual location in order to limit the added latency of connecting to a VPN.
2. Correct, move your Geo-Filter location to the VPN server location.
3. It's up to you when you want to use it but it will increase latency and lower speeds. That's why the Hybrid exists to apply it to specific services/applications e.g. just apply the VPN to Skype on my PC, then allows the rest of the PC to be unimpeded.
4. I would suggest so but it's more likely the VPN itself if blocking the ports necessary for an open NAT.
Message 8 of 43
Shikwan68
Star

Got it! Thank you for the clarification! Much appreciated!

Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 9 of 43
LevelUpLiam24
Apprentice

Hey all, question for you regarding expressvpn and the xbox via the XR500.
I spoke with expressvpn support because the xbox is the only device experiencing issues since setting up via HybridVPN. The issue is moderate NAT.

ExpressVNP support said "I think the issue is because you're using a two Nats. Please note that when you're using a VPN, you go through our networks which leads to another NAT which makes it moderate or in some cases strict. (Good thing, we don't provide Nat Firewalls) and then another NAT on your router." 

Does anyone know an issue to resolve this? I'm sure there are gamers that use VPN services and have an open NAT, I've read of people that use a VPN specifially to achieve open NAT.

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 10 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would suggest you ensure the XR500 is in the DMZ of the upstream modem/router or the hub is in modem mode. Put the console in the XR500 DMZ mode and that will help with NAT. Also disable the Geo-Filter fully before boot up. Does that resolve your issue? How are you measuring NAT by the console network settings or the game reading?
Message 11 of 43
LevelUpLiam24
Apprentice

With a few hours support we still couldn't get this resolved and honestly I think it was due to expressvpn not enabling port forwarding on their end. I decided to check out purevpn especially since it's native with the firmware. However, there isn't any support for the ddos dedicated IP? Is there any plans to implement this? Also you have to purchase the port forwarding addon to ensure open NAT.

Still new to using a VPN for gaming, so I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any.
Message 12 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Not sure what you mean regarding DDoS dedicated IP, that's not a Netgear feature or a router feature I'm aware of. That's for PureVPN? Might be worth looking into a gaming VPN that might do that by default, only one I can think of is VyprVPN
Message 13 of 43
schumaku
Guru

@LevelUpLiam24 wrote:
With a few hours support we still couldn't get this resolved and honestly I think it was due to expressvpn not enabling port forwarding on their end.

All these hide-my-a** VPN providers are doing many2one NAT on their end, and won't assign a public IP exclusively per VPN session - thus no explicit port ... how would you control it?

Message 14 of 43
chaoticbeliever
Aspirant

Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to your router’s network.
Enter www.routerlogin.net.
A login window displays.
Enter the router user name and password.
The user name is admin. The password is the one that you specified the first time that you logged in. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
The Dashboard displays.

1. Click Settings > Advanced Settings > VPN Client.
  2. Select the Enable VPN Client check box.
  3. Select your VPN provider (eg. Ivacy VPN) from the VPN Server drop-down menu.
  4. Select the VPN protocol, country, and city that you want to use for your VPN connection.
  5. Enter the user name and password provided by your VPN service provider.
  6. Click the Connect button to connect to your VPN service.
  7. Your VPN service is enabled.
Message 15 of 43
maallen
Aspirant

Hi,

I have my HybridVPN setup with NordVPN, everything works as expected however sometimes the connection will fail after a period of time and I'm required to login to the router interface and disable and then re-enable HybridVPN which gets the connection back up & running. Is it possible for the router to do this automatically if an active VPN connection drops out?

Message 16 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Not exactly, you have the option to block traffic if the VPN disconnects so you can then connect to a different server to re-establish the connection. I don’t believe it will do this for you. How long is it before the connection drops? Does it consistently do this and same time frame each time?
Message 17 of 43
dglsmcd_USMC
Luminary

maallen, distance (read ping) and server load are important to maintain a steady and fast VPN. For NordVPN go to this link: https://nordvpn.com/servers/tools/. Click on advanced options to tailor the type of VPN connection that you want and it should give you a recommneded server based on the NordVPN algorithm-this can and will change based on the above factors. You may have to experiment with different servers to find the best connection for your location. Hope this helps.

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 18 of 43
Juni0rM1nt
Aspirant

Gents,

Is Hybrid VPN availabe for PIA subscribers? 

Thank you!

-JM

Message 19 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You can use Hybrid VPN with any provider as long as you're able to obtain the OpenVPN config files from them. Then you can input it into the advanced section of the feature, enter your login details and it'll work.
Message 20 of 43
dglsmcd_USMC
Luminary

Juni0rM1nt, the OpenVPN config files are often buried within the VPN providers website. In the case of PIA, here is a link for their OpenVPN config files based on 256 bit encryption (strongest): OPENVPN CONFIGURATION FILES (STRONG). Copy and paste the entire config file to the configuration field under the advanced tab of Hybrid VPN. Be sure and select the config file from the state in which you currently live-this should maximize your performance (read lower ping/latency). Hope this helps.

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 21 of 43
tfbit
Tutor

I installed the new V2.3.2.56 firmware last night and decided to try our the Hybrid VPN stuff. I have NordVPN and have been using their Windows app and it's been working great, showing no problems when checked at ipleak.net. When setting up the Hybrid VPN I had no problem adding a NordVPN configuration file, getting logged in, and connected. However now when checking with ipleak.net it shows that my IP address is the correct NordVPN address but now shows all my isp's DNS servers instead of the single NordVPN DNS server I see using the Window application. I saw another person, RaleighEd, at the start of this thread mentioning leak issues and then Netduma_Jack saying that if his leaks were DNS leaks that it was a known issue and it would be fixed in a future firmware release. Is this still an issue?

Thanks!

Todd

Message 22 of 43
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

This is still a known issue. As a temporary measure, you could manually set the DNS server on your device to your VPN provider's server.

Message 23 of 43
tfbit
Tutor

Thank you! One other thing I noticed about the Hybrid VPN setup is that after disabling the Hybrid VPN with the toggle it seems to lose the login and configuration info in the advanced tab. Would be very nice if this didn't happen.

Message 24 of 43
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Oh right, well that's clearly a bug. I'll try and recreate it.

Message 25 of 43
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7