× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Hybrid VPN Setup

dglsmcd_USMC
Luminary

Re: Hybrid VPN Setup Guide

In regards to your DNS leak you might want to consider Cloudflare (1.1.1.1) for your primary DNS-see why at the following link: https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/dns/what-is-1.1.1.1/. VPN providers will often provide there own DNS server but it usually has a negative impact on performance when installed on the internet setup page of your router. Just a suggestion for the interim.

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 26 of 43
Lm60
Aspirant

Hi,

I have it setup and working but my problem is when I turn the vpn on I get double Nat on the Xbox. It’s only when the vpn is on. Not sure what is causing this?

Thanks for your help

Luke.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 27 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Luke, that's down to the VPN, they may block ports that are required for an Open NAT. May be worth looking for a gaming VPN or asking them if they can unblock ports on servers your account uses.
Message 28 of 43
bryan441
Guide

Thanks for sharing this information @bacevedo.

Message 29 of 43
Deno24
Aspirant

Unfortunately here it is over a year later and I just bought a xr500. And it still has DNS leak!
Message 30 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That should be fixed in 3.0. Meanwhile you can change the DNS on the router to the VPN DNS or use a VPN Client if using for the PC.
Message 31 of 43
Breebz
Aspirant

I have a subscription to HideMyAss vpn and using that for my Hybrid VPN connection.  The only connections I have to Hybrid VPN is 2 PS4's.  When the VPN is on and says connected I can not access any games on the PS4.  When I turn the VPN off I have no issue connecting to games.  Please help !!!

Message 32 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Does it occur on all games you're playing? Are you using the Geo-Filter at the same time?
Message 33 of 43
rbroz73
Initiate

Has anyone got IPVanish VPN to work with the XR500?

Message 34 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you using the IPVanish OpenVPN configuration files?
Message 35 of 43
dglsmcd_USMC
Luminary

The configuration files for ipvanish can be found here:

https://www.ipvanish.com/software/configs/?_ga=2.61144676.939145539.1599761612-1299560907.1599761612 

Download configs.zip to download all the available config files or pick the one that is best (closest) to your physical location:

https://www.ipvanish.com/software/configs/configs.zip 

Message 36 of 43
Cryp1ic
Aspirant

Hello, I need big help trying to figure out setting up my vpn with the xr500 I spent 5 hours last night trying to get it to work and I’m completely lost. I am not a networking guy at all. I tried my best but you all got me confused as hell with this download the config file and all that. Lol. I need help. I am going to provide a screenshot of the instructions I think I’m supposed to use and my current situation.

Message 37 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@Cryp1ic you're using the VPN service feature rather than the Hybrid VPN feature. What is your reason for trying to use a VPN? Then I can point you in the right direction.
Message 38 of 43
JoeFI
Apprentice

Hi,

I'm trying to connect a hidemyass VPN and in your instructions it says to toggle disable then add sign in details for hidemyass, then says to enable before connecting. That option isn't possible for me, can you help please?

Joe  

Model: XRM570|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router and Mesh WiFi System
Message 39 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You're using the VPN service which is the wrong feature. Click Hybrid VPN on the left hand menu of the interface - not in Settings, then you can continue with the instructions.
Message 40 of 43
JoeFI
Apprentice

Hi, yes that is what I was doing. I've sorted it now.
Message 41 of 43
qlofty
Aspirant

Do you know if this feature will be coming to the XR1000. Only VPN option i see is under the advanced settings and that would apply to the whole network. 

I would like to only apply it to specific devices. 

Message 42 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The VPN in Settings is a VPN service so you can connect to the router from somewhere else. Don't have an estimate for Hybrid VPN, that's up to NG.

Message 43 of 43
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7