× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hybrid VPN Setup doesn't work if the "block-outside-dns" is used...

chazzy2501e
Tutor

Hybrid VPN Setup doesn't work if the "block-outside-dns" is used...

I was able to pick up a XR500 for cheap from a friend so far it it great!

it's in the title, I have to omit this line from my openvpn config or the router won't even attempt to connect to my VPN...

It's a super neat feature (hybridVPN) but I'm not sure if DNS queries are going through my ISP so they can still hoover up all the metadata they want.. Is this just not possible via a router?

Thanks anyone!

(this is for older devices that can't use a VPN directly or DNS over HTTPS)

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Re: Hybrid VPN Setup doesn't work if the "block-outside-dns" is used...

Thanks for the feedback! In a future version, we've made some big improvements to how Hybrid VPN works and also added the option of a adding a DNS server for the VPN, so that should help with your issue.

We don't have an ETA for this firmware yet as we're still fixing some bugs with it, but it's getting closer so it shouldn't be too long!

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay interesting, could you set the DNS of the router to the VPN DNS then put that line back in and see if it works then please?
Message 2 of 8
chazzy2501e
Tutor

I will try tonight;

but I'd rather only my VPN devices use the VPN DNS

also wouldn't the DNS queries be sent in the clear rather than through the VPN? I guess only testing will show this.

The "block-outside-dns" line seemed to stop the router even attempting a connection, the log window had no data to show. 

But I will test as you ask.

Message 3 of 8
chazzy2501e
Tutor

Unfortunately using my VPN DNS in the DHCP options stops all (non-VPN) devices using the internet, as it doesn't seem to work.

I'm guessing that my VPNs DNS isn't available publicly?

The "block-outside-dns" in the cfg still stops the HybridVPN from even trying a connection. (the log stays blank and states disconnected)

I have not tested though that DNS queries are happening outside of the VPN for mapped devices, I just assumed. 

I'll have to figure out a test.

EDIT: I made a silly mistake, got the gateway and DNS muddled.  The VPN is using googles 8.8.8.8 (but piped through the VPN on desktop using openVPN is fine) so I can't really test what the DNS traffic is doing through the router, would it query through the VPN or directly in the clear?

cheers for help..

Message 4 of 8
chazzy2501e
Tutor

I did a DNS Leak Test is showed my ISP DNS server on the VPN device... 

So the hybridVPN cannot stop a DNS Leak as I have it currently configured.

EDIT: I changed the DNS on the device its self to 8.8.8.8 and the leak test said I failed but it showed the wrong ip and country, I also tried cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 and I also got a similar result.

So maybe changing the routers DHCP to offer up 8.8.8.8 could automate this.  

This isn't my perfect solution but is still very good vs nothing at all, could a DNS block tool be added as a feature for the HybridVPN 🙂

Thanks for help so far

Message 5 of 8
chazzy2501e
Tutor

ok, a small problem. I can't set the DNS in the DHCP options this seems to be fixed pointing to the router.. Although I can change the router to use 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 it will of course make this request in the clear via the modem directly not through the VPN.. 

To stop DNS Leak more easily:

1. The need to set the DNS for the client via the DHCP server on the router (would be handy)

2. block DNS for VPN clients (as a safety option)

Also as a feature creep could you intercept DNS and use DNS over HTTPS in the future 🙂

Message 6 of 8
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the feedback! In a future version, we've made some big improvements to how Hybrid VPN works and also added the option of a adding a DNS server for the VPN, so that should help with your issue.

We don't have an ETA for this firmware yet as we're still fixing some bugs with it, but it's getting closer so it shouldn't be too long!

Message 7 of 8
chazzy2501e
Tutor

look forward to it!

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7