× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I can't understand why I'm getting lobbies with high ping players (XR500 router)

rolly1180
Aspirant

I can't understand why I'm getting lobbies with high ping players (XR500 router)

Hi all,

So I'm playing Call of Duty WW2 and I'm filtering for 500 miles and I have a Ping Assist of 20.  

And yet every lobby I'm in has at least 8 out of the 12 players with a 2 bar connection.  Best I can tell, the connection bars in Cod WW2 are 2 bars equaling roughly 80+ ping.

How is this even possible for these players to be in a lobby with me?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: I can't understand why I'm getting lobbies with high ping players (XR500 router)

When playing is there one icon on the map signifying the host of the game? If so you can't influence where other people connect, only what server/host you connect to. What is your ping to the host?
Message 2 of 8
rolly1180
Aspirant

Re: I can't understand why I'm getting lobbies with high ping players (XR500 router)

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
When playing is there one icon on the map signifying the host of the game? If so you can't influence where other people connect, only what server/host you connect to. What is your ping to the host?

Sorry, I'm a complete noob to all of this.  How would I know what server I'm connecting to? I only have 1 monitor and I play on PS4.  So I have to change the input and can't see my router page while playing.  Is there an app that can show me in real time what my ping is? Or what server I'm connecting to?

Message 3 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We're developing an app at the moment, you could use your phone to access the interface via the web browser but I wouldn't recommend making changes like that, just to view it. The server/host will appear on the Geo-Filter Map when you are in a game (you have to have added your console to the Geo-Filter first).
Message 4 of 8
rolly1180
Aspirant

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
We're developing an app at the moment, you could use your phone to access the interface via the web browser but I wouldn't recommend making changes like that, just to view it. The server/host will appear on the Geo-Filter Map when you are in a game (you have to have added your console to the Geo-Filter first).

Sounds good.  What do I do to access the interface via the phone? Go to routerlogin.net on my phone?

Message 5 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes that's exactly right, using your phone web browser.
Message 6 of 8
rolly1180
Aspirant

My ping is floating around the 12ms range, which is great.  But why are there so many people lagging in my lobbies?

I shouldn't be in lobbies with 6 players who are 2-bars (80+ ms ping)

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Yes that's exactly right, using your phone web browser.

Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The router can only control where you connect to, you can't influence other peoples connections so they will connect to wherever the game decides. As you're closer to the server you will have the advantage.
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7