× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I've had my XR500 for about a month and now it keeps dropping its WIFI

Conanzulu
Follower

I've had my XR500 for about a month and now it keeps dropping its WIFI

I have to admit, there are a decent amoutn of reviews on amazon warning about this.  I feel stupid for buying it now.  Sure I could do a factory reset, but its been a month.  A month!  Should I just return it?  I have a device thats about five feet away that keeps losing its signal, along with others around my home. 

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: I've had my XR500 for about a month and now it keeps dropping its WIFI

A factory reset should be done for last resort.

Has the FW been updated? When was it updated?

Any wifi neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What channels are you using? Try manual channel 1,6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz. Any unused channels on 5Ghz.

Disable MIMO. Beamforming can test with and with out. Find what works best for this feature.

What devices are you connecting to the wifi?

Which freqency are you conneting too?

Whats the Mfr and model# if the ISP Modem your using?

Message 2 of 4
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hopefully there’s nothing that can’t be fixed here as it’s probably just a simple setting you need to change.

Before you go changing wireless settings it’s worth making sure it’s definitely the WiFi only that is going down. So when the WiFi goes down, are you sure it’s just the WiFi? Have you been able to connect to it via a wire at the same time to verify that you have a connection through that?
Message 3 of 4
Faulko
Aspirant

I think you will find that not seperating 2.4 and 5ghz channels is the cause.

I had mine as default and let the router decide with freq to use and had drop out constantly, only on apple products thou.

I unticked the "let router decide", changed the name and password for the 5ghz and hasnt dropped yet touch wood.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7