× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ISP provided Modem with XR1000?

PapaLung
Apprentice

ISP provided Modem with XR1000?

Should I be running my isp's Modem with the XR1000? If so, would I need to run isp Modem in bridge mode or just disable the wifi capabilities so I could utilize the xr for wifi and ethernet? I have a replacement xr1000 on the way and I want to avoid as many obstacles as humanly possible. I'm currently running a nighthawk cm2050v Modem, xfinity high speed internet down and 42 up. The modem xfinity provides would be an XB8 router Modem combo w phone line capabilities. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: ISP provided Modem with XR1000?

You need A modem but it doesn't have to be your ISP modem, you could do so if you wish and put it in bridge or like you said leave it in router mode and disable its WiFi. If you were to do that then you would need to enter the XR WAN IP into the modem DMZ to ensure you can get an Open NAT.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

The CM2050 is a modem only and would be a good recommended modem to use the XR1000 router with. The CM modem doesn't have built in router or wifi. 

The ISP modem would have built in wifi and a router already, it would be recommended to bridge that modem if you used it with the XR router.

Message 2 of 3
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You need A modem but it doesn't have to be your ISP modem, you could do so if you wish and put it in bridge or like you said leave it in router mode and disable its WiFi. If you were to do that then you would need to enter the XR WAN IP into the modem DMZ to ensure you can get an Open NAT.
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7