× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Iam based Central EU. Geofilter connect to US server. with a ping of 19 ms?!

Oriental
Tutor

Iam based Central EU. Geofilter connect to US server. with a ping of 19 ms?!

Hi can somebody explain me how i (Central EU basesd) can have a ping of 19ms when Geofilter connects me to a dedicated blizzard server in California?!

Does geofilter mindtricking me haha? (i did not lower my radius on purpose)

see screenshots

server details.jpgus server ping 19.jpg

i am thinking of exchanging for a router with a better value. because i bought it for the geo filter. And when iam connected to a lobby. i only see the host. And not the other players that are connected to the server. There is no purpose for me of getting this DumaOS. Sorry to say.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Iam based Central EU. Geofilter connect to US server. with a ping of 19 ms?!

Your radius covers the entire world which is why that server was allowed. It's also misplaced on the map as it's a low ping it'll be a lot closer to you. You do not always see the players in the game on the map when connected to a server. Your ping to the host is what matters. Being able to see the players would not benefit you.
Message 2 of 5
Oriental
Tutor

Re: Iam based Central EU. Geofilter connect to US server. with a ping of 19 ms?!

Information of the host might not be useful too. Because without geo filter. your psn will search for the closest server anyway. You can see that the map is misleading. And i was not joining a california based server. but a EU server (19 ms)

and if you can sniff where the other players are located. its just some extra why i bought this router for. You guys advertise you can see players connected. Thats not the case. even when you guys say it will appear "sometimes"!

going back to my r7000 with a open source firm. or buying the asus RT-AC88U (open source also availible)

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 5
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

It happens very rarely, but it's obviously very noticeable when it does!

If you want a foolproof way to guarantee a low ping, then you can use the Ping Assist feature like a Ping Filter. This will guarantee you a low ping every game you play. See this guide for more:

http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000087579--dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-...

Message 4 of 5
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Also to add - being able to see where other players are located is completely dependent on the game and how it's netcode is programmed. You will ALWAYS be able to see the host's location which is what you need to control to guarantee a great connection.

Being able to see locations of other players is a nice to have when it's displayed, but it won't affect your connection. To be able to see their location the game must be sending and receiving data directly between players. So in purely server side games e.g Fortnite, you won't see other players.

In other games, like Black Ops 4 on PS4, it will show other players when you're in a P2P hosted game, but not a game hosted on a dedicated server.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7