× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet May Not Be Working - error message with Galaxy S6, S7 and S8 Phones

Dartanion74
Follower

Internet May Not Be Working - error message with Galaxy S6, S7 and S8 Phones

Just purchased the XR500 through Amazon, got it configured.  Wired devices are working great, however some wireless devices such as the Amazon Fire TV and my Dell Inspiron 5970 (2015 model year) laptop will not see the 5G band.  Additionally, none of our Samsung Phones which were working fine on the previous Netgear R7000 router, no longer work on the XR500. They receive an IP address but can't get online.  I've reset the phones and firmware, that hasn't worked.  The XR500 has the latest firmware update but the issue remains... Is there a fix to this?  Is this similar to what has happened with the Orbi devices?

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Internet May Not Be Working - error message with Galaxy S6, S7 and S8 Phones

The XR500 uses smart connect which means there is only one WiFi connection. It will intelligently switch between 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz based on a devices needs. If you want to manually choose you can switch off smart connect and then setup each band individually.

It could be that these devices are blocked in the Device Manager. Can you check to make sure they appear red on this page and not black please. If they don't appear to be blocked can you do a factory reset from Settings please and see if that fixes it.
Message 2 of 5
BPowell
Tutor

Re: Internet May Not Be Working - error message with Galaxy S6, S7 and S8 Phones

Recently bought the XR500 and my Galaxy S7 is able to connect to the router, but the internet connection is not there. The device manager shows the phone is connected on the 5 Ghz band. I've tried to flash to an older firmware version, reboot the modem and router, and assign a static IP, but nothing has worked.

Edit: I was able to get the phone to connect by setting up the static IP and using the DNS server informtion provided from the router. Guess I'll see if I have keep changing this over time, but at least my phone is able to use the wi-fi now.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great to hear you managed to resolve it. Should be no issues working using automatic settings but keep us updated.
Message 4 of 5
wub901
Guide

You can set 5g and 2g respectively but Samsung galaxy phones won't see 5g if it's channel is above 140
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7