× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet disconnect during lease renewal while running multicast TV stream

IvanCH
Aspirant

Internet disconnect during lease renewal while running multicast TV stream

The router is working fine if I don't use multicast TV, otherwise internet get's disconnected on every lease renewal for a minute (which is not funny at all since my ISP has 30 min lease).

I have the following setup:

OTO socket -> fiber cable -> SFP -> media converter (TP-Link MC220L) -> cable -> Router (XR500) -> cable -> PC

After problems described above and some debugging, I have decided to factory reset router, make this setup and just test this. I did the router default setup, firmware is up to date (V2.3.2.40) and I have unchecked "Disable IGMP Proxying" in WAN settings according to my ISP instructions (https://www.init7.net/en/support/faq/TV7-Voraussetzungen/). Then I used VLC player on my PC to start network stream with the TV playlist from my ISP (https://www.init7.net/en/support/faq/TV-andere-Geraete/). On every lease renewal (so every 15 min) the stream freezes and internet get's disconnected for few minutes. The lease renewal is also logged in the router with the following entry: "[Internet connected] IP address: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX, Date & Time". This entry occurs every 15 min in the log. To confirm this issue, I also did this manually: by pressing "renew" button in the "settings -> monitoring -> connection status", TV stream freezes and internet drops.

I have also removed the router from the chain, so directly connected my PC to media converter and then VLC TV stream works without interruption for hours.

Also when I don't have TV multicast stream running, lease renewal does not create any problems, I can watch Netflix and play online PS4 game without interruption (lease renewal occurs every 15 min with internet connected log entry there as well). 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 12
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Re: Internet disconnect during lease renewal while running multicast TV stream

Sounds like you're not on the latest firmware verison as the current one ends in .56

Message 2 of 12
IvanCH
Aspirant

I thought it was up to date since "check for update" feature returned that this is the newest firmware. Now I'm not sure which firmware I have and which I had before. After I did manual update to 0.56 the System Information page still displays .40 as firmware version. But in log when starting router I get following entry: [Initialized, firmware version: V2.3.2.56] Date & Time

So maybe it was already running this version since I remember that I updated firmware once after buying the router.

Message 3 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sometimes Sys Info page doesn't reload the version without a hard refresh but sounds like you're on the latest. Could you set static/reserved IPs for your devices and see if it still continues to drop after that please?
Message 4 of 12
IvanCH
Aspirant

I used the Settings -> LAN Setup -> Address Reservation to do that and didn't help.

Didn't need to do this for multiple devices since only my PC was connected to the router after the factory reset.

Message 5 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I assume your WAN IP shown in Sys info is your public IP? Could you disable QoS fully from the Anti-Bufferbloat menu and see if it drops again when using the stream?
Message 6 of 12
IvanCH
Aspirant

Still the same behaviour, with and without static IP

Message 7 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

This may seem like a weird request but could you setup Guest WiFi and connect the device that performs the stream and see if it still occurs in that instance?
Message 8 of 12
IvanCH
Aspirant

Zero success

Message 9 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Is there another way you can watch the TV other than the way you're doing it to see if it may be an incompatibility with the method used?
Message 10 of 12
IvanCH
Aspirant

I have tried using the Apple TV (a friend borrowed one to me) and it's still presents the same issue when using the multicast stream. The ISP TV application on Apple has a setting where multicast or unicast stream can be set, and playing the unicast stream works fine. This is still an issue since unicast stream has more delay than multicast which is not fun when watching sports events and hearing your neighbours celebrating 10 seconds earlier...

Message 11 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Totally understand how frustrating that would be, I can't think of a DumaOS specific setting that would be causing this if QoS isn't. I'd suggest you make a ticket directly with Netgear here as they may have more suggestions: http://support.netgear.com/
Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7