× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is Mesh working Nighthawk yet

gycuk1
Apprentice

Is Mesh working Nighthawk yet

Hi

I looked through the fourm and found that the XR series doesnt support MESH. The posts were sometime ago and things have changed, so does anyone know if there has been and update and this function now works?

I note that the xr500 now comes with a pack and mesh extender in the pack.

I was looking at adding an EX8000, as the XR700 doesnt quite reach into the garden

regards

Jon

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

It should work off the 5ghz of your xr700.

I haven't personally used it but I've seen several people on here who've used the XR line and mesh extenders. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The triband mesh extenders work great. 

I've got an EX8000 and have used it with many routers and haven't had issues. 

Message 2 of 7
gycuk1
Apprentice

@plemans wrote:

The triband mesh extenders work great. 

I've got an EX8000 and have used it with many routers and haven't had issues. 

Thats Great, to hear and its not  in AP mode or anything like that and you get full signal or best you can where ever you wander?

The XR700 reaches everywhere in the home as its upstairs. As it looks like we are staying home this year due to covid we will spend alot of time in the garden. The XR700 signal tails off in the gardenand was looking to improve it.

In the Garden room we have an old asus router acting as a bridge for all the ethernet stuff i was going to replace that with an EX8000.I could set the old router up as an AP but everytime the kids move around we would have to keep changing over the Network. Looking around there were posts saying the XR Routers dont work with Mesh?

Regards

Jon

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

The XR devices do work with mesh extenders. the only issue is that when the ex8000 is hardwired in and running in access point mode, the mesh doesn't function. it does function if ran in extender mode (acting as a repeater)

I can't tell you if it'll reach in your case because everyones home/setup is different. My home is 3200 sqft and I can run off an RAX200 and the EX8000. I have coverage over my whole home and much of my yard. 

Message 4 of 7
gycuk1
Apprentice

@plemans wrote:

The XR devices do work with mesh extenders. the only issue is that when the ex8000 is hardwired in and running in access point mode, the mesh doesn't function. it does function if ran in extender mode (acting as a repeater)

I can't tell you if it'll reach in your case because everyones home/setup is different. My home is 3200 sqft and I can run off an RAX200 and the EX8000. I have coverage over my whole home and much of my yard. 

I shall not hard wire in i can live with that. the 5gz signal is fine in the Garden room i shall give it a go. Many many thanks i almost didnt buy one as the posts i was reading said they dont work with the XR range.  i take it as its running MESH devices switch automatically between the RAX200 and EX8000? and would do with my XR700

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

I haven't personally used it but I've seen several people on here who've used the XR line and mesh extenders. 

Message 6 of 7
gycuk1
Apprentice

i will give it a go then cheers

@plemans wrote:

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7