× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is it possible to pair an Orbi RBS50 satellite with the XR500?

soulicious
Aspirant

Is it possible to pair an Orbi RBS50 satellite with the XR500?

Hello,

I've had a good experience with our Orbi setup, but recently with the kids staying at home playing video games every day, the WAN port on my Orbi RBR50 died making it basically useless.

Since a lot of gaming is going on at our house and we tend to kill routers, I'm looking at the XR500 but I'm wondering if it's possible to use the RBS50 Orbi satellite as a satellite for the XR500?  If not a true satellite for the XR500, can I at least use the RBS50 in bridged mode with the XR500 in order to provide LAN ports to some devices that are at the opposite end of the house?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Message 1 of 6
Kinag
Aspirant

Re: Is it possible to pair an Orbi RBS50 satellite with the XR500?

I'm using an XR500 with Orbi Router set in bridge (AP mode) and a satelite in the second floor.

The Orbi is basically doing the wifi signal while the router (XR500) has wifi turned off.

It works perfectly well, except the fact that the XR500 doesn't work with QoS on if you've got a Samsung Smart TV from the last two years.

The QoS stops the TV from streaming apps (except Netflix for some odd reason).

The QoS issue MIGHT be solved in the next firmware update, whenever that will be.

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBS from a Orbi system can only be synced with a Orbi system. You can run a Orbi RBR in AP mode behind the XR router and disable the XR routers wifi for better wifi with the Orbi system. 

@soulicious wrote:

Hello,

I've had a good experience with our Orbi setup, but recently with the kids staying at home playing video games every day, the WAN port on my Orbi RBR50 died making it basically useless.

Since a lot of gaming is going on at our house and we tend to kill routers, I'm looking at the XR500 but I'm wondering if it's possible to use the RBS50 Orbi satellite as a satellite for the XR500?  If not a true satellite for the XR500, can I at least use the RBS50 in bridged mode with the XR500 in order to provide LAN ports to some devices that are at the opposite end of the house?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Message 3 of 6
soulicious
Aspirant

@Kinag wrote:

I'm using an XR500 with Orbi Router set in bridge (AP mode) and a satelite in the second floor.

The Orbi is basically doing the wifi signal while the router (XR500) has wifi turned off.

Is your XR500 plugged in to the Orbi WAN port in order to feed it the incoming internet signal?  The problem I'm having is that the Orbi WAN port has died....

Message 4 of 6
soulicious
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You can run a Orbi RBR in AP mode behind the XR router and disable the XR routers wifi for better wifi with the Orbi system. 

Is it possible to feed the Orbi RBR the incoming internet signal and put it in AP mode if the WAN port has died?

Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I think you'll need the WAN port unless you're able to turn one of the LAN ports into a WAN port if it has an interface. If it does have an interface this may be possible to do from interfaceurl/debug.htm

I haven't used it but I assume an individual satellite won't have this.
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7