× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issue with IP Assignment after Brownout on my XR700

DavidI1a
Aspirant

Issue with IP Assignment after Brownout on my XR700

Hello All,

Hoping someone will be able to help me out.

I have been having an issue with my router for about the past year or so where when there is a brief interruption to the power (say less then 1 min) when the router boots up most of my deceives have trouble connection and getting an IP.

Looking at my Alexa's it commonly shows DHCP error.

I can normally resolve this by rebooting the router a half dozen times then everything will connect with out issue.

Just wondering if anyone has come across this and if there is a fix? Thankfully it is not super common but is highly annoying.

My Network lay out:

1 Router

1 Nighthawk Extender

15+ Smart home devices connected via 2.4Ghz + phones ect.

Happy  to provide logs if will help.

Kind regards,

David

Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: Issue with IP Assignment after Brownout on my XR700

What modem/gateway is the router connected to? 

We see that sometimes when the router boots up faster than the modem and doesn't pull an IP address from the modem for a while. 

Usually it just takes powering them both off for a bit then the modem on for a couple minutes then powering the router on. 

Message 2 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Reboot the router from the interface when everything is setup and connected, this acts as a hard save and should get you back online when there is a power interruption next
Message 3 of 12
DavidI1a
Aspirant

Thank you for the suggestion and i have tried that and unfortunately the result remains the same. have to do it a few times before everything works again 

Message 4 of 12
DavidI1a
Aspirant

Hi plemans,

I have it connected to a Sagemcom Broadband Router (Provided by my ISP)  but I  have disabled all its Wifi as i am only using it a 4G backup for when the Fiber connection goes down and as a modem.

Kind regards,

David

Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

So that just makes it more complicated. 

1. what actual router is it? 

2. you also have fibre, so modem/gatway does that have?

3. Is the xr700 connected to both or how do you have that setup? 

Message 6 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

When it happens again, reboot the modem, wait 2 minutes then reboot the XR, wait 2 minutes and see if it connects right away. Some modems/routers are picky about the boot order
Message 7 of 12
DavidI1a
Aspirant

Thanks Fraser just tried that as we had another power outage and no joy.

The XR700 came back up but still half the devices will not connect also my computer which is cabled in was being issued a very random IP from the router so it was unable to connect but after another reboot that sorted it. But wifi still having issues.
Message 8 of 12
DavidI1a
Aspirant

Hey plemans,

Yeah we have a weird setup in Aus the fiber connection comes in over copper (fiber to the curb) and comes into a modem which is then connected to the ISP’s router for user creds then it is connected my the XR700.

It is a sagemcom gateway fast

And the XR700 is just connected to the sagemcom
Message 9 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As it is a gateway, set the IP it gives the XR as static/reserved and see if that works.
Message 10 of 12
plemans
Guru

The sagemcom is a modem/router combo device. do you have the XR's IP address set in the sagemcom's DMZ?

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

@DavidI1a 

Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series