× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Issue with XR500 and S8000 Gaming Switch

KyleHermsen
Tutor

Issue with XR500 and S8000 Gaming Switch

Hello All!

I am having an issue with my recently upgraded home network. I upgraded my old router to the XR500, S8000 and a Powerline 2000 converter to help reduce lag and combat the issue we have with our ever growing number of WiFi devices. We have a total of 5 Lifx Smart Lightbulbs, a smart power socket, a HomePod, 2 Macs, 3 Iphones, an IPad and an old PS3 all connected via WiFi. I have the S8000 switch connected to the router running the hardwire for the Xbox One and Apple TV. The final part is ports 3 and ideally 4 need to run to a power line adapter to get the signal to my office upstairs for the PS4 and my Gamimg PC. The network runs fine, albeit a little slower speeds to all my devices in general, but the issue arises when I try to connect the Ethernet cable for the Gaming PC. As soon as I connect said cable, the entire network crashes and causes the router to reboot.

I know we have a ton of devices on our network so I am trying to determine if the issue is stemming from the hardware not being able to handle the load, in which case I’ll upgrade to the XR700, or if it is a setting that is wrong somewhere.

Thank you all in advance for the help and any other info you may need just ask!

Thanks,
Kyle
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router, S8000| GS808E Nighthawk Gaming & Streaming Switch
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded on the router?

What ist he MFr and model# of the ISP modem it's connected too?

Does the network still crash if you connect the Game PC directly to the router?

Swap LAN cables between PC and switch? Use good quality LAN cabling. CAT6 recommended.

Try different ports on the switch?

What is the Mfr and model# of the network adapter in the game PC?

Remove the PLs from the network and test?

Total of 15 devices? My XR450 handles close to 30 devices, thought I don't have the S8000 switch. I use other switches. Several of those all connected.

Message 2 of 11
KyleHermsen
Tutor

Thanks for the quick reply FURRYe38!

After reading your response I tried every available port and each time it crashed the network. I’ve also swapped the outputs in my office and the problem is replicated with now the gaming pc running and the PS4 causing the network to crash. I have also swapped the two cables going from the switch to the PL Adapter, all cables are brand new CAT6. It appears that the second Ethernet line on the PL Adapter is causing the issue. When I plug the cable in the status lights on the switch blink quickly.

The modem is a Netgear CM500 and the router is running FW2.3.2.22.

I think my next step is to swap out the PL adapter and see if the problem persists. Thanks for all the help so far. You’ve atleast confirmed that my router should be able to atleast handle all of the devices I have.

Kyle
Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I would remove the PL adapters and then test the system.

Message 4 of 11
KyleHermsen
Tutor

Removed the adapters and the system runs fine, it even runs fine when only one of the links is connected, the issues happen as soon as the second link gets connected. The active ports on the switch blink rapidly like they are trying to transfer data super quickly.

Thanks again!
Kyle
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router, S8000| GS808E Nighthawk Gaming & Streaming Switch
Message 5 of 11
Danny80916
Luminary

I had that problem on my switch ( lights blinking fast ) I have that same switch when i talked to netgear they said it was a network loop and linked me some article. 

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 6 of 11
KyleHermsen
Tutor

Ah good to know, did they happen to provide a solution to that issue? I find it hard to believe that the PL Adapter is a broken unit.
Message 7 of 11
Danny80916
Luminary

Is from my post that the netgear lady responded to.

if all of the ports being used and their corresponding port LEDs are fast blinking blue, it means that the S8000 switch detected a network loop. As reference, read pages 6-7 of the Nighthawk S8000 user manual here about the LED descriptions. 

Detect a Network Loop
When a network loop occurs, the switch, and possibly the router to which the switch is connected, could become very sluggish or traffic on your network could come to a halt.
By default, loop detection is enabled on the switch. (You cannot disable it.)
If the switch detects a network loop, all port LEDs for the ports that are being used blink blue fast.This visual warning allows you to determine which ports are involved in the loop and remove the loop

but no she did not tell me how to fix it anyways random thought I did read somewhere a very long time ago in the xr500 forum that some one was having a similar problem with there gaming pc crashing there router . The guys answer was that he opened his computer case and the Lan Card was not all the way pushed into the pci slot. I dont know if thats worth looking at or if your lan is built into your motherboard.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 8 of 11
KyleHermsen
Tutor

Appreciate the comments and the help! In the end, the issue ended up simply being the second Ethernet cable being plugged into the Powerline Adapter. Apparently the PL Adapter doesn’t run a separate line for each input and output so the second cable was causing a network loop. I plan on testing with the switch to see if the PL Adapter can accept an aggregate coming from the switch. If nothing else the entire network now runs fine so once again thank you all for your help!
Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you figured it out. 

I presume aggregate linking is not supported or recommended between the switch and PL. I would keep that single line only. If the PL and switch are rated at 1000Mb, then you'll be fine for LAN side traffic. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@KyleHermsen wrote:
Appreciate the comments and the help! In the end, the issue ended up simply being the second Ethernet cable being plugged into the Powerline Adapter. Apparently the PL Adapter doesn’t run a separate line for each input and output so the second cable was causing a network loop. I plan on testing with the switch to see if the PL Adapter can accept an aggregate coming from the switch. If nothing else the entire network now runs fine so once again thank you all for your help!

Message 10 of 11

Posted to wrong thread. Couldn't figure out how to delete my post. Sorry!

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7