× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Issues with Hearthstone disconnections on iPad Air 2

Jeff321
Aspirant

Issues with Hearthstone disconnections on iPad Air 2

Hi,

This has happened multiple times now since I got this router.  I never had a problem with my old router.  When playing Hearthstone on my iPad Air 2 connected to the WiFi, randomly every several minutes or so, the game briefly disconnects from the server and then has to resume which takes 15-20 seconds.  This is extremely annoying for gameplay.  I can't really do much to troubleshoot since... it's an iPad.  My signal strength shows as a solid 3/3.  Note I have 2.4 GHz disabled on the router and am only using 5 GHz.

Thanks,

Jeff

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Jeff, I think 5Ghz may be the problem. It is more unreliable than 2.4Ghz. If you have to game via WiFi I would always recommend 2.4Ghz. So enable that and use that to play and see if you get the same issue.
Message 2 of 10
XRaptor29
Luminary

WMM is only available on 2.4Ghz. Why doesn't the 5Ghz have WMM also?

Message 3 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You don't need high bandwidth for gaming so either would have the speeds capable. The auto channel would switch depending on the interference in the area, 5Ghz doesn't have auto channel.

I'm unaware about WMM for 5Ghz, it's a standard Netgear setting and we haven't touched that, to get clarification I'd suggest asking Netgear support.
Message 4 of 10
Jeff321
Aspirant

WMM for 5ghz was already enabled in Advanced Wireless settings.

Thanks for the replies all.  Would rather not enable 2.4ghz when none of my devices need it and I get a good signal strength with 5ghz.

Jeff

Message 5 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would suggest trying it just to troubleshoot, you can always disable it again.

Do you have your iPad selected on the Geo-Filter? If so change to Spectating Mode or remove it, does that resolve the issue?
Message 6 of 10
Jeff321
Aspirant

I have not used the Geo Filter at all.  No devices are added to it.

Message 7 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Just to confirm, I am assuming you have Smart Connect disabled? With Beamforming & MU-MIMO enabled in Advanced Wireless Settings?
Message 8 of 10
Jeff321
Aspirant

All of that is correct.  Took me a few minutes to find the Smart Connect setting -- but yes, it is grayed out and disabled because my 2.4ghz radio is off.

I am willing to try the 2.4ghz on my iPad to see if that works better in Hearthstone, can't right this moment though.

Message 9 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay do let us know. I can't think of any specific reason you'd be experiencing it that often. I'd use a WiFi analyser as well and see if there is any congestion on the channel you were using and change it if needed.
Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7