× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issues with XR700 after a few days uptime

JeremyFenn
Guide

Issues with XR700 after a few days uptime

I posted this in the NetDuma website as well.  I'm having issues after a few days of uptime on the router (XR700). Here is the link with pictures of the issues.

https://forum.netduma.com/topic/29779-new-firmware-for-xr700-issues/?do=findComment&comment=244043

Please get back to me with any thoughts.  Thank you for your help.

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 36
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Issues with XR700 after a few days uptime

I've responded to you there but:
Upgrade to this firmware and then do a factory reset and it should fix the issue: https://kb.netgear.com/000061714/XR700-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-24-Hot-Fix
Message 2 of 36
PCLLC-JFenn
Tutor

No this new FW did not fix the issue.  I updated the FW, did a hard 60 sec reset and configured manually (not from file).  I opened up the admin GUI and get "This R-App is not loaded yet, please try again in a minute." on the dashboard after a short period of time. The issue doesn't go away and the messages keep coming back (the apps just don't re-start themselves)  Same issues as before after a short test (going through the admin GUI and testing wireless bands). A reboot of the unit does allievate some issues (Apps not Wireless).  It's a shame really, this router used to be pretty solid.  What's going on?

Message 3 of 36
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's very odd as it has worked for most people. I noticed in your pictures you're using IE/Edge, could you try Google Chrome please and see if it works there?
Message 4 of 36
JeremyFenn
Guide

Screenshot of it still being poop in Chrome.  I was thinking I'm pretty sure if an app doesn't work in MSE it wouldn't work in Chrome as the app isn't loaded (or responding).  That's not a browser issue that's a issue within the OS on the router.  Also the browser wouldn't have anything to do with WiFi issues.  Here's another screenshot for you in Chrome though if that helps ease your mind. These are expensive routers, this FW issue(s) shouldn't happen for a $500 piece of routing equipment.

Message 5 of 36
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you take a screenshot of the System Information page please if it loads and also on that page in the Rapp panel options change the number of retries to 5 then reboot the router. Do you have any Nintendo Switches connected to the router?
Message 6 of 36
JeremyFenn
Guide

Yes we have a Nintendo Switch.  We have a PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS's (2), tablets, PC's, Laptops, Phones, Roku's, IP Cameras, etc. 

Message 7 of 36
JeremyFenn
Guide

Here's another pic.

Message 8 of 36
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great thanks, nothing out of the ordinary there. For the Nintendo Switch change the device type to something that isn't a switch like an Xbox or PlayStation - this will achieve the same purpose for the Geo-Filter etc but we did notice the switch device type causing this type of issue.
Message 9 of 36
JeremyFenn
Guide

Well I'm glad you've isolated the issue, but it's not a PS or Xbox so you should really fix that issue with the Nintendo Switch instead of just dumping it onto a PS or Xbox config for QoS.  I'll let you know if I experience more app drops.

Message 10 of 36
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It was fixed in that update so I'm not sure why it's still an issue for you but we'll keep investigating.
Message 11 of 36
JeremyFenn
Guide

Just logged in to the admin GUI and your DumaOS apps are still screwed up.  Hope you've got it figured out. I'm on that beta FW, did the hard reset, manually configured settings and not restored from backup file, changed the Nintendo Switch to an Xbox in Device Manager and it's still poop.  Hope the screen shot helped but I know it doesn't really.

Message 12 of 36
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you reinstall the .24 firmware please then reset to ensure there wasn't anything corrupt getting through. Re-download the firmware file as well to make sure.
Message 13 of 36
JeremyFenn
Guide

Why would I just do everything I did again? How about you fix your poop out firmware and then I'll install that one. If the FW was corrupt it'd have bricked the router more than likely and you'd be replacing my unit. I updated the FW to .24 beta and once the wizard came up I did a 60 second hard reset. After the reset I went through the wizard and manually configured the router. Your RApps continue to stop responding or maybe even stop period, I wouldn't know that part. All I know is it's still don't the same thing even after changing the restarts to 5 from 3 and changed the Nintendo switch profile to Xbox in device manager. Come at me with something other than the basic first tier tech crap "have you tried turning it off and back on again" or " just do everything I told you to do again" like that'll fix it. We both know it'll just waste my time.
Message 14 of 36
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'm asking you to reinstall the firmware which is different, corruption doesn't mean it would brick the router. That is the only possible solution I have at the moment, otherwise it is unlikely there will be another update prior to 3.0 though we should be having a beta soon and so I'd suggest waiting for that or getting a replacement.
Message 15 of 36
JeremyFenn
Guide

So you suggest just doing everything you told me again.  And replace what the $500 router I purchased specifically because of your company's OS on it???  Is that really your professional stand?  If so sure I'll replace it when you buy this POS back.  This is pretty garbage support on such an expensive router, Fraser.  I'd expect more from a company after purchasing their flagship unit.

Message 16 of 36
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As you are aware, this issue required a firmware fix so that means all alternative solutions did not work and so again means another fix will have to be made. I am trying to suggest something that could in theory help, in an effort to resolve the issue prior to another update. I am fairly confident there won't be another update prior to the 3.0 major update, though I'm not a developer and don't make those decisions so that could change. Therefore as the customer I laid out the options to you, try a solution, wait for an update or try to get the router replaced with Netgear due to the issue. I could try to keep suggesting other things that won't work in an effort to keep you on board but I respect you too much to do that, hence why I laid out the available options. If I could make a fix myself I would but that's not possible.
Message 17 of 36
JeremyFenn
Guide

I mean I get that I really do.  The NetDuma team should be all over it though honestly I mean that's their name on it ya know, more so than Netgear and the fact their apps stop responding means it's on their end not Netgear as the basic functionality of the unit is pretty sound.  I'll stick it out because like I said this is the flagship for now and I don't really feel like sitting on a $500 paperweight and replace it with another brand when they won't offer the tools that DumaOS do.  The FW was so sound I mean it was rock solid until what the .21 update then it just went to poopy pie.  Js man.  Anyway light a fire under them for me and tell them I'm dying over here!

Message 18 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

As a suggestion, you might downgrade to last working version of FW prior to v20. 

Message 19 of 36
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

More than likely the new update will fix it because we're making changes to Rapps as a whole and we're close to a beta for it so it wouldn't make sense to shift focus because we'd then need to do thorough testing on just that firmware before releasing it when we could have had the beta out in that time but I do get where you're coming from. Perhaps the downgrade as above might be a better option for the time being.
Message 20 of 36
JeremyFenn
Guide

Yeah I mean if you're making changes to the apps themselves then any issues they had would be eliminated because you're changing the apps and they will be THOROUGHLY TESTED TO MAKE SURE THEY DON'T STOP RESPONDING AFTER DAYS OF LOAD right?  lol I mean if it's a total overhaul of the Rapp system then yeah should be fine.  Just make sure it's passes the quality control before released in beta.

Message 21 of 36
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes of course we'll be testing it throughly but we realise that we can't test every possible variation so a beta will provide us with extra information and highlight things we may need to work on.
Message 22 of 36
JeremyFenn
Guide

Well if you need guinea pigs, I'm game.
Message 23 of 36
Caboendermaker
Aspirant

Same thing's happening to me and I have to say, I'm not too happy paying through the nose for something that is supposed to be flagship material. I upgraded from an earlier version of the Netgear Nighthawk (R7000). I didn't have any issues with the old unit and miss it's reliability. The IOS app that can be used to access the XR700 is the same app that I used to use to access the R7000. Half the features in the app don't work with the XR700.

I really hope you get these issues sorted out in the next release but for now, I'm replacing the XR700 with my old R7000.

Not happy.

Message 24 of 36
JeremyFenn
Guide

Just go back to the FW before .20 It's .10. I also had a Nighthawk that they used to beta the xr500 OS, the X4S r7800. That was pretty solid cept the QoS in the FW.
Message 25 of 36
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7