× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

It's Sad but XR300 appear to be bad and slow :(

Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: It's Sad but XR300 appear to be bad and slow :(

Thanks for that information. After a factory reset, what settings do you change?
Message 26 of 32
karloc
Aspirant

Here is my typical setup

Admin:Set password

Internet Setup: Static IP, subnet, gateway, DNS servers

Lan: IP and subnet, No DHCP

Static route: Setup a static route for a range of private subnets out of range of LAN to route to a vpn box.

Wireless configure wifi, new SSIDs and network key.

UPNP: Turn Off
LED control on X300 - omg its got bad lights - turn as much off as possible.

Backup settings, Reboot.

Would then tweak qos if needed etc after tests and monitoring etc

I think that is about it, may not be 'typical' but nothing out of the ordinary.

Model: XR300|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 27 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you setting reserved IPs in LAN Settings or on the devices themselves? If the devices could you mirror the one you use for testing speed in LAN Settings please. If you're not using UPnP what are you using to allow ports to be opened for devices?
Message 28 of 32
karloc
Aspirant

UPNP - don't trust it as it's a security liability - if i need a port opened i will set it up - very rarely need it tbh. Yea I am that paranoid.

The IP addresses accross my network are controlled by my DHCP Server with adresses reserved on it for router IP address and a few other devices - so they can't be used elsewhere. I run speed tests on multiple devices not just a single ip address.

Changing the router LAN IP would be a complete pain and I dont see how / why that could cause the issues I am facing.

Just remembered another setting I change - I change the MTU size to 1462 as that is the best MTU to use - after running mltiplr tests across multiple machines. But I have tried default incase it was effecting speed, it did not appear to.

Message 29 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

My thinking is that without port 80/443 being routed properly this could impact your speed. If you're worried about security could you put a router ahead of the XR in router mode and then factory reset the XR (make a backup of your settings) and then don't change anything for a few days and see if the speed still drops?
Message 30 of 32
karloc
Aspirant

The speed is fine as long as the wifi is turned off.
Routing ports 80 and 443 is pretty basic for a router to be able to route.

If I had another router that could hadle the throughput I would be using that instead of trying to understand the issue with the XR300.

Maybe it's time to decide if I just keep this and accept it's trash but will work with no wifi and learn a lesson from my brand loyalty. This is the first major issue I have had after about 15 routers from netgear I guess times change and we need to move with them.

Thanks for all you thoughts and ideas, I feel we are just clutching at straws now.

Message 31 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that, I'd recommend signing up for the beta firmware here so you can get into it sooner and it will hopefully be resolved on that.

http://www.netgearinnovation.com/dumaos-beta/index.html
Message 32 of 32
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7