× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Keeping up to date with OpenGPL

Killhippie
Prodigy

Keeping up to date with OpenGPL

I was wondering how much control you have over Netgears inability to update their own code base. Routers like the R7800 are running UPnP/1.0 miniupnpd/1.0 and OpenSSL version 1.0.2h (still) unless you use Voxels or other third party firmware on that router. So do you actually use the latest packages with your updates or is that still controlled by Netgear? I just wondered as the XR500 inherited a glitch from the R7800 (which was patched on that router in v1.0.2.44) where if you use a password with unusual characters (ASCII) like '\' you get a server 400 error. (already reported to Netgear) So is DumaOS running the latest versions OpenSSL and patched versions of UPnP etc? Thanks for any info.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We created DumaOS and Netgear's settings is then implemented. Anything on that side of things is down to Netgear. If we notice any issues with that we will let them know and will work collaboratively to figure out the cause/a fix.
Message 2 of 5
Killhippie
Prodigy

Netgear has a habit of using as I mentioned very old packages, like miniupnd and OpenSSL to name just two and there are many more than that as you know, have a look at Voxels firmware for the R7800 on smallnetbuilder and you will see how much he has to change to keep the router up to date, and even then he can't do it all as Netgear place limitations in some areas. The hardware between both routers is very similar if not identical I believe, apart from a bit more flash added (correct me if I am wrong)

I hope your team will be able to change Netgears coding habits, its why people go to DD-WRT or other third party firmware in the first place and you know all this very well. So If you can go though the code and get things updated and kept up to date that would be something many Netgear users would really be greatfull for, as in this day an age using 12 year old code in a brand new router is pretty outrageous and not very unsafe. Each release really needs the latest  packages to be updated where applicable, and Netgear needs a kick up the proverbial b*tt to do that.

Message 3 of 5
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the feedback Hippie
Message 4 of 5
Killhippie
Prodigy

No Hippies here, no harming of them either... Just a beardy gamer 😉