× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LAN Connectivity Isues and Poor WiFi signal on XR500

joned030
Follower

LAN Connectivity Isues and Poor WiFi signal on XR500

I have recently bought the Nighthawk Pro Gaming router, the XR500, in order to stabilise my internet connection when gaming and in preparation for when I get Sky Fibre installed next Sunday, an upgrade from Sky Broadband Max. However on setting up the XR500 with my current SkyBroadband Max, though I can get decent internet through a wired connection, the Wi-if to all my devices around the home is much weaker, and keeps dropping off. Can anybody help solve this issue? On setup, I connected the cable between the sky router and the Netgear XR500, and disabled the wireless access point on my SkyBroadband settings page. Do I have to do anything else? I have tried disabling smart connect and using the two options, but this has failed to improve matters. Now I am also unable to connect to the internet using the LAN ports, and my internet browser justs say the website refused to connect, even though it says its connected. I’m not sure what’s gone wrong, as it was working before. Can anybody help me? I am very new and inexperienced to this, so try and explain any help or suggestions in a very basic manner, and help guide me through each step. Any help much appreciated.
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: LAN Connectivity Isues and Poor WiFi signal on XR500

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using? Try WPA2 and AES only.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

Message 2 of 3
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Re: LAN Connectivity Isues and Poor WiFi signal on XR500

Really good advice from Furry above.

Ultimately the XR500 has very powerful WiFi so I'm surprised you're not getting a great connection through it. Definitely try a different channel on each of the bands to see if that helps (go to Settings >Wireless Setup to configure this)

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7